Tanya

Thailand, Cambodia, Bangkok

Eating locations and general tips for Bangkok/ Thailand & Cambodia

Hi!

My boyfriend and I are going for a 3 week holiday to Thailand and Cambodia. We like to travel with a backpack because it gives us a sense of freedom, but we do have some traveling money so we don't stay at hostels etc. Does anyone has some general tips: where to stay, what definitely to see and where to eat. The plan is to arrive at Bangkok and then after a few days go to Cambodia see all the highlights and end the trip at some bounty island back in Thailand.

Thank a lot!

Tanya

Victoria from Riga

Oh how amazing! I have spent my winters in Thailand  Phuket for several years and I miss it a lot.

It is pretty great that you have some funds to spend on accommodation, because Thailand has some pretty awesome options. Be sure to check Cape Sienna Phuket Hotel & Villas (18/40 Moo 6, Nakalay Road | Tambon Kamala, A. Kathu, Kamala, Phuket) in  Kamala if you are going to visit Phuket. Just let me know if you are, I'll share more tips on Phuket gems.

But in general here are some things to consider in Thailand:

1) If you have a privilege of more than a week to stay in one place - rent a house/villa/apartment/condo. It will be way cheaper than a hotel and you will feel as local as it gets.

2) Rend a scooter/bike. The traffic is not that scary on islands and smaller towns if you or your BF know how to drive it. This will be major advantage - you will feel the freedom of going anywhere, to any beach, any restaurant, any shop.

3)  Bangkok is worth several days - awesome hotels (I highly recommend ( Pullman Bangkok King Power (8/2 Soi Rangnam, Phayathai Road | Ratchathewi, Bangkok) - best service, rooms, pool, breakfast, and young crowd I ever had in Bangkok). Just enjoy shopping, eating and if you are into clubs - there are some pretty good ones out there. Just avoid touristy places. Bangkok is so modern and alive, you will love it. 

4) Temples. Definitely visit alabaster Wat Rong Khun if you go North to Chiang Rai, than belongs to an artist Chalermchai Kositpipat who will finish the temple on his own funds, breathtaking, and  - it is among 5 most beautiful in the world. Ayutthaya is worth visiting, too.

5) Wild nature at its best is Doi Inthanon National Park.

6) If you are in Bangkok for the first time, I highly recommend to get a private guide. Me and my DH had a blast with a tourwithtong.com - she came to our hotel on a comfy car and we were just three of us all day long, she showed us whatever we wanted (loved the market and all the temples The Temple of The Emerald Buddha), just don't go to any jewelry/silk shops tour guides tend to take their clients to - too touristy and a waste of time in my opinion.

7) Restaurants are great, but street food there is one of the best and I never had any problem with stomach). Loved to get a soup and customize it to my taste talking to the vendor and locals. It is amazing how much you might find out about the area if you just talk to a local. Go for Asian cuisine, European is meh.

8) As for beaches, I also love Koh Samui (west side has way less crowds) and  Hat Mai Khao, Sai Kaew Beach, Layan Beach in Phuket. For diving, go to Similan islands and Surin Islands

1. Cape Sienna Phuket Hotel & Villas (hotel)
  3. Pullman Bangkok King Power (hotel)
  4. Wat Rong Khun (attraction)
  5. Chiang Rai (city)
  6. Doi Inthanon National Park (attraction)
  7. Hat Mai Khao (attraction)
  8. Similan islands (attraction)
  9. Surin Islands (island)
  10. Layan Beach (attraction)
  11. Sai Kaew Beach (attraction)
  12. Kamala (attraction)
  13. Phuket (city)
  14. Koh Samui (island)
  15. The Temple of The Emerald Buddha (attraction)
  16. Ayutthaya (state)

Tim from Bangkok

I can highly recommend Ko Samet as an Island getaway, you can reach it from Bangkok by minibus in just 3 hours.

Go eat streetfood in Bangkok, it is cheap and delicious. Try Pad Thai Noodles. If you want awesome Japanese food i recommend you "Fuji Japanese Restaurant". For the best pizza in town, go to "Salt" at Ari BTS.

1. Ko Samet (city)
  2. Fuji Japanese Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Salt (restaurant)

emma from New Zealand

Thailand

I haven't been to Cambodia But I have been to Thailand. I did a 3 week trip around Thailand solo over last new years. These are what I consider the highlights and must sees/dos and what to avoid:

Bangkok

Musts

Ayutthaya Floating Market (day trip)

Temples

Khao San Road

Markets

Avoid

Staying on Khaosan road

Koh Phangan

Musts

Full Moon Party

Stay on the main area of the full moon parties, its to hard and expensive to get around otherwise

But I stayed in Phuwadee resort and spa and its a nice small village , feels a lot more like your in Thailand as less touristy and cute restaurants, but again hard to get to main part of island

Koh Tao

Musts

Take ferry over to nang yuan for 250 bath for the day hire snorkel gear and explore the Japanese gardens and the other side of the sand bar to find small sharks, Most Amazing snorkelling ever! and you can stay on the Island as well.

Again Stay in the main area unless you are hiring a moped

Koh Samui

Musts

Day tour of the island

See a Thai boxing match

(Wasn't a big fan of the island)

Phuket

Musts

Bangla Road, patong

Night life along  Bangla Road

Shopping at Jungceylon ( around the corner from Bengla rd)

Avoid

Ping pong shows

Don't take photos with the animals on the street or with the lady boys

Lady boy shows (not for me) Just a burlesque show

Koh Phi Phi

Stay the night!

Night Snorkel to see the glowing plankton

Snorkel

Don't take the cruise over, Take a speed boat

Khao Sok National Park

( My favourite place)

A over night or day tour from Phuket, Take the over night one and stay on the river huts, ride elephants, night kayak rides, beautiful scenery.

Others

Day trip from Phuket to James Bond Island

Do a cooking class

Do a Diving course

1. Thailand (country)
  3. Ayutthaya Floating Market (attraction)
  4. Full Moon Party (attraction)
  5. Koh Tao (island)
  6. Koh Samui (island)
  7. Phuket (city)
  8. Bangla Road (attraction)
  9. Jungceylon (attraction)
  10. Koh Phi Phi (city)
  11. Khao Sok National Park (park)
  12. James Bond Island (island)
  13. Khao San Road (attraction)
  14. Koh Phangan (island)

Kaydee from Brooklyn

I recently came back from Siem Reap, Cambodia and just spent time at the Angkor Wat temple complex. I'd recommend staying downtown so you're close to the nightlife (Pub Street) and markets. I stayed at Neth Socheata Hotel which was fine. Good location, very basic, cheap, clean, but not special or cute (though there is wifi and a simple patio on the roof).

I had dinner at Khmer Kitchen which I'd highly recommend. I had the Khmer Curry. SO good.  Angkor Palm was also a good lunch/dinner spot. People have left pretty good tips on Foursquare if you need more recs. For an amazing massage, check out Bodytune. And don't forget to swing by the night markets (downtown, can't miss them due to massive neon signage). Souvenirs are super cheap.

As for the temples, save the main one, Angkor Wat, until your last day. Do the smaller ones first so you appreciate them and then see the big guy. I did Ta Prohm and a series of temples my first day then Angkor Wat,  Bayan and more nearby temples the next day. I'd also recommend sunrise in both instances (Angkor Wat for the view/picture and the others for the lack of crowds). I saw Ta Prohm Templeat sunrise and was the only person there for an hour. If it's in your budget, get a driver to take you from place to place and a guide. You'll be surprised how expansive the grounds are. It takes a while to get place to place, so it'll be even longer if you're on a bicycle or tuk tuk.  Enjoy!

1. Angkor Wat (attraction)
  2. Ta Prohm Temple (attraction)
  3. Neth Socheata Hotel (hotel)
  4. Khmer Kitchen (attraction)

Rauno

I'm a full on backpack traveler and have only stayed in hostels and such but if you really want an paradise this is the island you'll go to.  Koh Phi Phi. It's really touristy when you arrive and a real party island. The thing is, if you take a boat to one of the remote beaches you'll be completely alone. You can have amazing snorkeling right in front of your bungalow and you can take short day trips e.g. to Koh Phi Phi Leh which is the smaller of the islands and is actually where the movie The Beach was filmed at. You can do great diving there, too. 

Also, I could recommend  Ko Tao Thailand. It's notorious for it's diving but it's a beautiful and chill island with nice restaurants. The locals, however, like to go to  Ko Samet or  Ko Lanta. These are extremely beautiful and the services aren't (didn't use to be at least) as wide as on the ones mentioned above but you have real solitude and complete meditation like relaxation if that's what you're after. 

1. Ko Tao Thailand (attraction)
  2. Ko Samet (city)
  3. Ko Lanta (city)
  4. Koh Phi Phi (city)

James from Singapore

Be careful when eating street food. When in doubt, always choose the street hawker with the most customers.