Hannah
Portland

Thailand, Chiang Mai, Krabi, Ao Nang

Best way to travel from Chiang Mai to Railay Beach? + destination recs?

I am planning my honeymoon for November 2015 to Thailand. We plan to stay for 3 weeks and so far have decided on Chiang Mai and Railay Beach for two of our destinations. As they are not an insignificant distance apart I was wondering how others have traveled around the country.

Also, if you have any tips on additional destinations, I would like to add at least one more to our itinerary. 

Who we are/what we like:

• Late 20's/early 30's
  • Social but not into "clubs"
  • Really enjoy trying new foods
  • We like kayaking/paddle-boarding/short hikes but nothing too strenuous like rock climbing
  • Markets/cultural events/festivals

I appreciate your help! 

Damien from Perth

We took the train. I kinda look back on that journey with fondness just for the grungy backpacker aspect but at the time it was pretty unpleasant. It was long, hot and uncomfortable. It was quite a few years ago but the train was in bad shape. We stopped at places tourists wouldn't normally see or visit and I ate the hottest Thai beef salad I ever ate at one stop but it was mostly unpleasant and I would say it's worth paying the little bit extra to fly.

Laura from Buenos Aires

You can take a flight from Chiang Mai to Krabi and go from there to Railey Beach. The hotels offer a transfer that includes the van and a boat to get to Railay. 

I stayed in Railay Bay Resort And Spa and I liked it very much. The tranfer cost us 1200 bahts.

1. Chiang Mai (city)
  2. Krabi (city)
  3. Railey Beach (attraction)
  4. Railay Bay Resort And Spa (hotel)

Zach from West Bloomfield Township, Michigan

We flew to Phuket. Then stayed 1 day there in order to do the John Gray Sea Kayak which was INCREDIBLE.  Then took ferry to Ko Phi Phi Le, stayed there for a few days, then took the ferry to Railey Beach  I think.  May have been Ferry to Krabi and long tail to Railay...can't remember.

You could probably fly to Krabi if you want and then longtail to Railay. Check Nok Air for cheap 1 way flights.

1. Phuket (city)
  2. Ko Phi Phi Le (attraction)
  3. Railey Beach (attraction)
  4. Krabi (city)

Randi from On The Road

I was just in Chiang Mai a few days ago and flew to Krabi, which is the closest town to Railay Beach.  The flight was about $80 and well worth it.  The alternative is to take a bus or train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok then catch a bus to Krabi.  It is a very long journey and since you only have three weeks flying probably makes the most sense.

1. Chiang Mai (city)
  2. Krabi (city)
  3. Railay Beach (attraction)

Fly to Krabi or Phuketand take a ferry.  Krabi is closer but if you have night to spend on Koh Phi Phi or another island then you can cross the whole bay by longtail or ferry.

Flights one-way should be under $60 USD.  

Private Longtail from Ko Yao Noi (I DO NOT RECOMMEND GOING THERE) was $100 USD.

Ferry's are much cheaper like $7 USD or something like that.

1. Krabi (city)
  2. Phuket (city)
  3. Koh Phi Phi (city)
  4. Ko Yao Noi (attraction)