Leslie
Belfast

Thailand, Bangkok

Best temples to visit in Thailand?

I plan to visit Thailand for three weeks in the spring.  I will be visiting a mate in Bangkok, which will be my home base.  Other than that, have no other definite plans.  I hear it's very affordable to hop around the country, so that's what I would like to do.  I know Thailand has some really fantastic temples, so which ones are a must see during my trip?

Erin from Kimberly, Wisconsin

We went to Wat PA Luang Ta Bua Yansampannowhich was quite the seite to see. We also visited Grand Palace and basically just drove around. There are seriously so many temples to see that I don't know half of their names... I just happened to see them, pull the car over, and stop to get out and take a look at them.  Mind you- driving wasn't the best .. I highly recommend hiring a driver or having a friend drive. Just make sure that whatever temples you visit, you make sure to wear long pants or a sarong to cover your legs, and wear a t-shirt (no spaghetti strap shirts) to be respectful. Enjoy!

1. Wat PA Luang Ta Bua Yansampanno (attraction)
  2. Grand Palace (attraction)

Denise from San Diego

I second Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai. I've been to a lot of temples and this is my favorite. 

1. Doi Suthep (attraction)

Nuttapol from Nonthaburi

If you are only visiting Bangkok . The best one might be Wat Phra Kaew

Wall painting in the temple is just fascinating. And there are lots of beautiful places near the temple. The area is called Rattanakosin Island. You can hop around for days.

1. Wat Phra Kaew (attraction)
  2. Rattanakosin Island (attraction)

Evanne from Chiang Mai, Thailand

I second Ayutthaya Historical Park! It's a quick day trip from Bangkok (you can catch a mini bus from the Victory monument) and super interesting. Also Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai. It's considered one of the most holy Buddhist temples. Another interesting one in CM is Wat Chedi Luang

1. Ayutthaya Historical Park (attraction)
  2. Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep (attraction)
  3. Wat Chedi Luang (attraction)

Pj from Bangkok

In Bangkok, you must go to see the Grand Palace and Temple of Dawn. In Ayutthaya, there are a lot of interesting ruins and temples to visit as well.

2. Grand Palace (attraction)
  3. Temple of Dawn (attraction)
  4. Ayutthaya (state)

Patricia

The Wat Pho  which is also popularly known as the reclining Buddha temple is one of the highly suggested temples in Thailand . While the Wat Arun Temple of the Dawn  is majestic and really beautiful.

http://www.travel141.com/recommended-this-month/thailand-travel-5-must-see-temples-visit-bangkok/ here's a list of other temples you can visit. 

1. Wat Pho (attraction)
  2. Thailand (country)
  3. Wat Arun Temple of the Dawn (attraction)

Lauren from Toronto

Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai, and Wat Pho in Bangkok were my favourites! 

1. Doi Suthep (attraction)
  2. Wat Pho (attraction)

Nam from Bangkok

Bangkok - Wat Phra Kaew (Emerald Buddha), Wat Pho (Reclining Buddha) and Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn). All 3 temples are easy to access in 1 time, they located the same area.

Ayutthaya - Old capital of the kingdom, so expect more than 10 temples to visit both inside and outside the town!

Above recommendations are ancient temples.

For new, unique and stunning temple.... visit Chiang Rai, on the north of Thailand.

White Temple is waiting for you. See pic below...

Have a nice Thailand trip.

2. Wat Phra Kaew (attraction)
  3. Wat Pho (attraction)
  4. Wat Arun (attraction)
  5. Ayutthaya (state)
  6. Chiang Rai (state)
  7. White Temple (attraction)

Rodger

Catch a bus to Siem Reap in Cambodiaand see the temple of all temples ?

Angkor Wat and the 200+other temples in the park.

1. Siem Reap (city)
  2. Cambodia (country)
  3. Angkor Wat (attraction)

Jason from Cape Town

Go to Chiang Mai there are amazing temples there. My best would be Chedi Luang

1. Chiang Mai (city)

Darren from Thailand

Being based in Bangkok you'll be very close to Ayutthaya Historical Park. Well worth a visit, remains of many old temples which were trashed when the Burmese invaded Thailand. 

Tonya Russ from Charlotte

Wat Pho has already been mentioned, you have to go there just because there is a massage school, this is one of those travel edition bucket list, foot massage at the school! 

If you go to Wat Traimit, there is a noodle shop near by, Odean Noodle Shop that is known for their giant crab claw noodle bowls.  It's a stone throw away.

1. Wat Pho (attraction)
  2. Wat Traimit (attraction)