Britney

Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos

Any experience getting vaccines while in Southeast Asia?

I'm traveling to Southeast Asia for 6 months and I have been researching vaccines. I'm from the USA and the majority of the vaccines are very expensive. I know a few, like the rabies shot is rare in SEA but has anyone had experience with getting their vaccines in SEA? What was your experience? What vaccines are unavailable there? Was it difficult to find a clinic and how expensive were the vaccines? Thanks for your help.

Laura from Buenos Aires

Hi Britney, 

For Argentines for example the vaccine against yellow fever is required to enter Thailand, they check your certificate in the airport, so I suggest you check that before your travel. 

Claudia from New York City

Hi Britney,

Check out Thai Travel Clinic at Hospital for Tropical Diseases (Mahidol University) in Bangkok. Their website has a list of vaccines and prices: https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/cost.html

You can walk-in or schedule an appointment online. The clinic offers pre- and post-travel counseling. It's open from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 3 pm for walk-ins and from 8 am to 4 pm for those who have an appointment. An appointment is highly recommended.

If you're in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, there's the Twin Towers Medical Centre in KLCC (Petronas Towers). For additional info, go to their website: https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/cost.html

Travel vaccines before a trip are wise and cheaper than being ill in a foreign country. Good luck being your own doctor.