Andrea
Mexico

Thailand

10 Top To-do's in Thailand

If you could summarize the 10 top to-dos in Thailand what would they be? I would be traveling with hubby and the length of the trip would be of about 2 weeks 

Scott from Fort Collins

Hello Andrea!  My wife and I recently took a two week trip to Cambodia (Siem Reap) and Thailand.  In doing our research, we knew we wanted to spend 3-4 nights in  Bangkok, 3-4 nights in a smaller venue and a week just chilling on an island.  Obviously, most people end up in Bangkok, which is a crazy city in a good way.  Traffic is horrendous, so try to stick to the sky train, as much as possible, or stay close to the Chao Phraya River.  We very much enjoyed seeking out street food and spent some time wondering around and trying different stalls.  Just try to stick to ones that seem busy.  For sight seeing, you must have a drink at Sky Bar just before sunset.  Some of our favorite sites were, Wat ArunWat PhoWat Phra KaewGrand Palace and a leisurely ride on the river.  We decided to incorporate Siem Reap, because we felt it was an area that is changing rapidly and wanted to be there before it felt totally overrun.  If you haven't been, it's super easy to incorporate into a Thailand trip for 3-4 nights.  If not, I've done some research on Chiang Mai, as my wife and I are planning to go there in 2016 and think that would be a great choice as well.  Then, for me, I would choose between Phi Phi IslandsPhuket, or Koh Samui.  My wife and I chose Koh Samui, mostly because we had some Hilton points to burn and read great reviews about Conrad Koh Samui.  Your island choice should probably be dictated by your desired level of chill time vs party time.  We wanted to plop down, have rum drinks and chill, but to each their own.  :)

So, in summation,  I would recommend Siem Reap, Cambodia and seeing The BayonTa ProhmAngkor Wat, Angkor Thom and Google "Sun Same" to use a fantastic guide to the temples.  Then, stay at the Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort,OR, Chiang Mai, Thailand, followed by Bangkok and then your choice of the islands I mentioned above.  Safe travels!

1. Siem Reap (state)
  2. Chao Phraya River (attraction)
  3. Sky Bar (restaurant)
  4. Wat Arun (attraction)
  5. Wat Pho (attraction)
  6. Wat Phra Kaew (attraction)
  7. Grand Palace (attraction)
  8. Chiang Mai (city)
  9. Phi Phi Islands (attraction)
  10. Phuket (city)
  11. Koh Samui (island)
  12. Conrad Koh Samui (hotel)
  13. The Bayon (attraction)
  14. Ta Prohm (hotel)
  15. Angkor Wat (attraction)
  16. Angkor Thom (metro area)
  17. Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort (hotel)

neg

You have to go to Phi Phi Islands (touristix but great parties on the beach) and Ko Lanta a very peaceful island ! Don't go to Phuket (lot of tourist, too noisy, cheap...)

1. Phi Phi Islands (attraction)
  2. Ko Lanta (city)

Diana

Two weeks is not a lot of time to cram in 10 of Thailand's best things. It depends on where you are going and what you want to get out of the country. 

If you want the idyllic beaches, then head south; if you want the metropolitan city, then it is Bangkok; if you want a chilled out city, go north to Chiang Mai

It is possible to hit all three in two weeks, but there won't be a lot of downtime.

On the islands, snorkel or dive; Bangkok go and explore the palace; Chiang Mai head to Elephant Nature Park and chill with elephants without exploiting them, rent a scooter and head up to Doi Suthep and the temple there, take a cooking class.

I write about my life in Chiang Mai if you want to get a better idea of stuff to do here: www.dtravelsround.com

2. Chiang Mai (city)
  3. Elephant Nature Park (attraction)
  4. Doi Suthep (attraction)

Scott from Hays, Kansas

Here's two of my favorites:

Khao Yai National Park - Not too far from Bangkok but just a really amazing and different experience from the normal tourist Thailand.

Koh Chang - Beautiful island that is mostly a national park; steep jungles and waterfalls.  We found a hotel that was a collection of bungalows that you had to walk up the beach about a mile, so away from all the resorts on the south-side.

1. Khao Yai National Park (park)
  2. Koh Chang (island)

Duyen from Hội An

Visiting temples in Bangkok: There are a large number of temples and shrines in Bangkok as  THE GRAND PALACE,  Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho)Temple of the Golden Buddha (Wat Traimit), ...

Shop til you drop with the Pratunam MarketSukhumvit Soi 38 Night Food Market, .... There are so many things to buy here. 

Chiang Mai: An ancient town and not crowded as Bangkok. You can view some of these itineraries in Bangkok, Chiangmai and pattaya for recommendation. Hope they work on you!

3-day Plan in Bangkok

Chiang mai for backpackers

Pattaya for beach lovers