Kathi
Washington

Tanzania

What are the necessary immunizations I need to get before Tanzania?

Heading to Tanzania soon and wondering what types of immunizations I will need to get? Any other tips to protect myself from any illnesses?

Ianca from Deerfield Beach

I was in Tanzania a few months ago and have been there a few times. 

If you are flying in directly from Europe (ie Amsterdam), then none are required. If you are visiting another country like Kenya (or even just stopping over in Nairobi) then you will be required to have a Yellow Fever vaccination. 

The only other thing that we recommend when sending clients to Africa is to always travel with anti-malaria mediation. 

Happy travels... cheers!

1. Tanzania (attraction)
  2. Kenya (attraction)

Colleen from Brooklyn

The CDC has the most accurate recommendations: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/tanzania  A few tips: if your doctor doesn't normally administer them, you'll have to call ahead so that they can order the immunizations. Also, be sure to start soon enough before your trip because some immunizations might require more than one shot, which must be spaced out. And I don't think it's worth getting the rabies vaccine. There are mixed opinions about its effectiveness so in the unlikely event that you're bit, you'd have to be treated whether you have the vaccination or not. Have an amazing trip! Tanzania is by far one of my favorite places on earth!

1. Tanzania (attraction)

Seddy

yellow fever and you should  travel with anti-malaria medication

Seddy

what activity you are going to do in Tanzania,maybe Mount Kilimanjaro Climbing

you should have yellow fever certificate ,malaria vaccination will be necessary,

1. Tanzania (attraction)
  2. Mount Kilimanjaro (attraction)

Darwin from Quezon City, Philippines

I got all CDC recommended vaccines. Bring Malaria pills, and lots of mosquito repellent cream.

Joachim from Mönchengladbach, Germany

In almost any pharmacy in Tanzania you can buy so called WHO approved mosquito nets. They come with a treatment that kills mosquitos but does not harm you. This + DEET repellent and long shirt, pants and socks is probably the most effective way to protect yourself.

1. Tanzania (attraction)

Polly from Washington, DC

The CDC has the most comprehensive information on what you'll need to travel to Tanzania. Some other tips for staying healthy while traveling include avoiding tap water and ice, salad or the peel of fruit or veg, using a straw for soda cans, using plenty of bug repellant and making sure the places you sleep have mosquito nets (with no tiny rips).

1. Tanzania (attraction)