Georgia
Long Island (New York)

Tanzania, Kenya, South Africa, Turkey, Morocco, Egypt

For a woman looking for an escape, where would you travel alone?

City wanderer, spend minimum to not regret the experience, companions appreciated mostly for dinner conversation, will travel 1 day to three weeks.

I dream about a safari trip to Africa someday. Otherwise I am always ready to go to Europe or maybe Turkey, N. Africa.

Clifford from Kenya

I will talk about Kenya and Tanzania. Obviously if you are travelling to East African countries, you would probably land in Nairobi as it is the entry to the region. Nairobi city tours: Nairobi National Park, which is the only park in the world near a metropolitan city with animals like lion, leopard, hartebeest, eland, hippo, buffalo, cheetah and giraffe among others.Next: Karen Mamba village where you will get a chance to see crocodiles and Ostriches.

Nairobi national museum in Nairobi.

Lake Nakuru National Park in Kenya offers a wide variety of wildlife species ranging from mammals to birds. They include white and black rhinos, leopard, lion, buffalo, warthog, olive baboon, vervet monkey, flamingo, pelican, stork, egret and vulture among others.

Lake Bogoria: hot springs, wild animals and natural spas.

Maasai Mara National Reserve: Highest concentration of mammals and bird species. Popular in the world together with its runner up, Serengeti in Tanzania. Famous for Annual wildebeest migration between the months of July and October. BBC's Big Cat Diary is made in Maasai Mara Game Reserve.

Tsavo East National Park and Amboseli National ParkIn Amboseli National park you can get a spectacular view of Mt. Kilimanjaro, tallest mountain in Africa and highest free standing mountain in the world, than any other place in East Africa because of the fact that it is a leeward side.

A best place to spend time alone; white sandy beaches, marine parks, dolphin hotspots, a great place for watersports is Diani Beach in Kenya.

Diani BeachI am sure you are gonna love Kenya.

1. Nairobi National Park (amusement park)
  2. Lake Nakuru National Park (attraction)
  3. Lake Bogoria (attraction)
  4. Maasai Mara National Reserve (attraction)
  5. Tsavo East National Park (attraction)
  6. Amboseli National Park (park)
  7. Diani Beach (city)

Missy from Newport

Hi, I would go to Bodrum, Turkey on the southwest coast of Turkey and consider the Hotel Su in Bodrum, which is very reasonable in pricing, well located, and with lovely owners.  There is so much to do and see in Bodrum such as the Bodrum Castle which includes the Underwater Archeology Museum, which is terrific.  Bodrum offers a lot, but still feels like a village and is right on the beautiful Turkish water and a ferry ride away from the Greek Island of Kos

1. Bodrum (city)
  2. Turkey (country)
  3. Bodrum Castle (attraction)
  4. Kos (city)

Jillian from Los Angeles

My vote would be to take that safari dream trip and go to Tanzania! I traveled there solo last year for a few months. During my time, I was able to hike Mount Kilimanjaro, and well as go on safari to Tarangire National ParkNgorongoro Crater and the Serengeti

I would recommend taking at least 4 days for safari, but ideally one week. Since you are solo, it's likely you can join an existing group pretty easily. I ended up going with another volunteer I met, and we used Peter Tours & Mountaineering. Peter is great, and I highly recommend using his company. If I were you, I would probably splurge and stay in a lodge or upgraded tent. :)

We started in Tarangire for the day and immediately saw elephants... From there, we were off to the Serengeti, which was by far my favorite experience. If you go anywhere, go here. We spent one night/two days in this park and it was honestly magical. I loved standing up in the pop top with nothing but open roads ahead...

Below is one of my all time favorite moments, and pictures I've ever taken. If you look closely, you'll see our car antenna... it was just us and the lioness.

And of course we did a little off-roading to catch a cheetah...We also watched some leopards kill an impala and drag it up a tree to feast on it... 

For the last day, we were off to one of the Seven Natural Wonders of Africa, the Ngorongoro Crater. And finally...we watched a rhino cross the road right in front of us. We were really lucky to see the Big 5!

If you're looking for a place to stay, I would recommend the Stella Maris Executive Lodge about six miles outside of Moshi.  It's part of the Mailisita Foundation, a NGO that funds a school with the hotel proceeds. As a tourist, it's nice to know you're helping provide an education for the children with your stay. If you want more information, please ask and I can connect you! Here's a view of Mount Kilimanjaro from my hotel room balcony:

You can also look into staying in Arusha as it's a closer to the safari parks, but I personally liked the smaller feel of Moshi.

It was a trip I will never forget...hope this helps you decide!

1. Tanzania (country)
  2. Mount Kilimanjaro (attraction)
  3. Tarangire National Park (attraction)
  4. Ngorongoro Crater (attraction)
  5. Serengeti (region)
  6. Peter Tours & Mountaineering (attraction)
  7. Stella Maris Executive Lodge (hotel)
  8. Moshi (city)
  9. Arusha (city)

Emily from United Kingdom

Hi Georgie, Cape Town is one of my favourite cities, great for exploring and wandering around, with plenty to do and it is very easy to get around via walking so you don't need to spend a lot of money. You might also want to look into overlanding particularly in Kenya And Tanzania For very reasonably priced tours with the ability to meet and share your experience with like-minded people. I went with Absolute Africa a couple of years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did! The ages are mixed - particularly with this company there was no mandatory party atmosphere which you can get with some of them that attract very young crowds. You can pick your route and they throw in a mix of city, beach and safari life so it is well worth considering :)

1. Cape Town (city)
  2. Kenya (country)
  3. Tanzania (country)

Milcah from Nairobi

I suggest Kenya, it is a wonderful place to be starting from Nairobi National Park The only park in the world located a few  kilometers from the city.

Attractions within the city are Giraffe Centre,Nairobi Mamba Village,Bomas of KenyaKaren Blixen Museumand Nairobi National MuseumTo Sweetwaters Northern part of Kenya where you will be able to see chimpanzees and proceed to Samburu National Reserve a place well known for the special five animals (Reticulated giraffe,Somali ostrich,Gerenuk , Grevy's Zebra and beisa oryx)Lake Nakuru National Park, the park known of flamingos and over 450 species of birds and home to  the following mammals; Lions,buffalo's,rhino  leopard ,cheetah and vervet Monkey.Beach  holiday Mombasa a place to relax.Those are among the few attraction found in Kenya for more  check at this web site www.skyjettoursandtravel.com.

2. Giraffe Centre (attraction)
  3. Nairobi Mamba Village (restaurant)
  4. Bomas of Kenya (attraction)
  5. Karen Blixen Museum (attraction)
  6. Nairobi National Museum (attraction)
  7. Samburu National Reserve (attraction)
  8. Lake Nakuru National Park (attraction)
  9. Mombasa (city)

Roxanne from Montreal

In Europe, I have personaly visit and greatly enjoied visiting alone, not in any specific order : ParisRome and London.  I have no problem roaming the streets of these cities.

Emily from Los Angeles

Hi Georgia!  So many places come to mind!  It really depends on time of year, where you're coming from, and what type of transport you want, but my first three thoughts are Turkey, Bulgaria, and the Baltic States - Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania.

Turkey is a great option - you could make your way up or down the western coast visiting places like Fethiye, Bodrum, Ephesus, and Istanbul.I've traveled to Turkey alone a few times and found it very easy to get around and meet other travelers.  Two special recommendations: 1) the Panorama Hotel Bodrum in Golturkbuku -- possibly the best breakfast I've ever had and certainly some of the loveliest hosts; and 2) La Paz Cafe Bar America Latina in Istanbul -- it's not Turkish food, it's Latin American food, but not only is it SO delicious, it's also a great reminder that Istanbul is a multicultural city, and immigrants are a big part of where it is and where it's going.

Bulgaria is another favorite country, and it is easy to combine with a visit to Turkey. You could see the Black Sea coast in Varna; explore one of the loveliest towns with THE best Shopska Salad in Veliko Tarnovo; or see the painted houses in Plovdiv. Bulgaria definitely has some grim reminders of the past (and some very unattractive communist-era buildings - especially in Sofia), but it's beauty, culture, and great people shine through. Seek out a vegetarian restaurant if you make it to Sofia.  It's so worth it.  Oh and Bulgaria is also great value for the money!

The Baltics: a meander through Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania would make for a fantastic trip at the right time of year.  Very doable in a short-ish amount of time, with great cities, good transport, and tons of attractions.

Tallinn in Estonia has a wonderfully kitschy old town square, but is also an incredibly charming city.  A great museum is located outside of downtown, called Kumu - Art Museum of Estonia

Riga in Latvia is one of the most beautiful cities I've seen. Latvijas Nacionālais Mākslas muzejs (The Latvian National Museum of Art) is totally worth a visit.

1. Turkey (country)
  2. Bulgaria (country)
  3. Estonia (country)
  4. Latvia (country)
  5. Lithuania (country)
  6. Fethiye (city)
  7. Bodrum (city)
  8. Ephesus (attraction)
  9. Istanbul (city)
  10. Panorama Hotel Bodrum (hotel)
  11. Golturkbuku (city)
  12. La Paz Cafe Bar America Latina (restaurant)
  13. Varna (city)
  14. Veliko Tarnovo (city)
  15. Plovdiv (city)
  16. Tallinn (city)
  17. Art Museum of Estonia (attraction)
  18. Riga (city)
  19. Latvijas Nacionālais Mākslas muzejs (attraction)

Pat from Cambria

Personally, I think you can go most anywhere.  Recently, I have loved the destinations of Taipei City, PoznanGdanskWroclaw. Kathmandu was great but a real challenge in fortitude. Visit anywhere in Italy. Or in Europe. Find an interesting city with lots of history, an old town center, then sit back in a nice cafe and enjoy the sites and food. Countries of eastern Europe are less expensive, like Poland and the Baltic countries. I would go to Cape Town and parts of South Africa, and Namibia solo. For me, the only places to avoid are those where locals do not view women by western standards as it is not as easy for a woman to be seen alone. For those, find a friend or join a group. 

1. Taipei City (state)
  2. Poznan (city)
  3. Gdansk (city)
  4. Wroclaw (city)
  5. Kathmandu (city)
  6. Cape Town (attraction)

Randi from On The Road

Southeast Asia for sure!  It is incredible.  So much to see and such interesting culture.

Take a look at a recent article from my site: Just a Pack: Solo Female Travel in Asia

1. Southeast Asia (region)

Linda from Abington

My two favorite countries, where I would be comfortable and happy to travel alone, would be Thailand and Malaysia.  Wonderful people, superb food, lots to see and do!

1. Thailand (country)
  2. Malaysia (country)

Apurva from Andover, Massachusetts

You should absolutely take a trip to Tanzania and hike Mount Kilimanjaro and then do your safari trip. I just wrote a blog post on this topic for VentureFar (http://www.venturefar.com/blog/2015/3/15/kilimanjaro-a-solo-journey-or-with-friends). Traveling alone is actually a great way to hike and to do a safari - and kudos to you for doing this! You'll learn a lot about yourself being in these remote areas and depending on what you're looking for you'll be sure to grow quite a bit. Let me know if there's any information I can provide you with regarding Kilimanjaro or Tanzania in general. Happy travels!

1. Tanzania (country)
  2. Mount Kilimanjaro (attraction)