Hilary

Tampa

Weekend retreat/getaway

A friend is returning from her first year at medical school and a few of us want to getaway in Tampa. We're looking for a relaxing part of town, but also would enjoy an early night out for dinner and some drinks. Looking for either hotel suggestions or the part of town we should look into.

Shannon from Shanghai

Are you interested in beaches/maybe being near the water? Or do you need to be near the airport or any particular location? I'd suggest considering crossing over to Pinellas CountySaint Petersburg (Florida)Saint Pete BeachClearwater Beach, or Dunedin (Florida). You'd be on the water, all very relaxing and lots of dining options. Dunedin is quite a cute little town so you could walk around to everything...take a stroll, sit on the waterfront, eat at many great restaurants, get drinks, do some shopping. There's a few hotels, inns and probably some AirBnBs right within the downtown.

1. Pinellas County (metro area)
  2. Saint Petersburg (Florida) (city)
  3. Saint Pete Beach (city)
  4. Clearwater Beach (city)
  5. Dunedin (Florida) (city)

Treasure Island is where l would stay in Tampa. There is nothing accept fun, sun, and sand. Plenty to do see and be with each other. Just walk a few steps and you will find paradise...dine and dance on the beach. Cool place.

1. Treasure Island (city)

Jaime from Tampa

If you stay at The Epicurean Hotel, you can have all of that within your hotel. Not only does Bern's own the hotel but they are located right across the street as is their sister restaurant, Haven:)  PS Haven Motel has a fantastic happy hour, as does the Epicurean mid day Saturdays.

1. Epicurean Hotel (hotel)
  2. Haven Motel (hotel)

Danny

Not sure if you're into yoga or relaxation, but I recently went to Kodawari Studios and had a real pleasant experience.  The yoga was top notch, but I really enjoyed the float therapy.  It really took the steam off from a company seminar that I was at. Totally healing

1. Kodawari Studios (attraction)

Gregory from Colorado Springs, Colorado

Don't live there any more, but my mother and uncle do and I get down for business fairly often. The cool thing is once you get away from heavy tourist or business areas, the price for lodging is great.

Near the Channel, you have a few hotels on either Channelside Driveor Harbour Island. Quite a few restaurants and very safe. Very near downtown, but just enough out of the way it is fairly chill. Rocky Pointalso has some hotels and is nearer the airport, if that is a concern. I would choose Channelside over Rocky Point personally. The Grand Hyatt is also near Rocky Point, but you either drive out or stick to their restaurants, as it is more of a pain to move about there.

Ybor City is neat, but was a bit dicey when I lived there. I hear it has cleaned up a bit, but I am still leery and have not booked a hotel there. Other than that, you get into either hotels for the University or Busch Gardens or low rent hotels.

If you are willing to travel a bit further, there are some neat options in Pinellas.  Downtown has been cleaned up a lot and has all sorts of neat little places now, including some hotels on the bay and nice little gastro pubs. It is just across the bay off I-275, but can be a real pain during rush hour. The Safety Harbor Resort and Spa is also nice and there are some real colorful restaurants and bars in walking distance. I love walking around the town when I am down in the area. The rest of the great spots in Pinellas are beach, which has an upcharge.

1. Channelside Drive (attraction)
  2. Harbour Island (attraction)
  3. Rocky Point (attraction)
  4. Ybor City (neighborhood)
  5. Downtown (neighborhood)
  6. Safety Harbor Resort and Spa (hotel)