Katrina
Gloucester (England)

Katrina from Gloucester (England) asked

Best outdoor/athletic activities in Taipei for a nature lover

I'll be going to Taipei this year and I heard it’s a fantastic place for active folks. What would you recommend that I see and do? I heard there are some great hikes, which I love. I also love being in or near water, too. Any good biking trails?  I’ve never actually climbed a mountain, but I would be open to that, too! Thank you :)

Taipei (Taiwan)

David from Fremont

Yangmingshan National Park

Hi, Katrina.  It's fantastic that you're heading to Taipei, Taiwan.  The city may be one of the best there, but the whole country is beautiful.  Anyway, I would recommend a hike at this place which you may already know about.  It was wonderful when I was there–plenty of pretty pictures with new Taiwanese friends were taken together.  That was a day to remember.  Well, I hope you enjoy your time in Taiwan no matter what!

Katrina
No, I've not heard of this park actually so I look forward to visiting! Thank you David! :)

Chee
good recommendation!

David from Taipei

Go Yangmingshan National Park, this area combined different Geo-attraction e.g. volcano, hot spring, view to the ocean, fresh local cuisine.

great for hiking, push-bike and just drive around.

check HERE for more detail

Mary from Redondo Beach

There are great hikes in Wulai, just take the green line MRT to the end at Xindian and get on the bus right outside the station.  Maokong is one of my favorite runs.  Its off the brown line, Maokong Gondola Taipei Zoo Station.  Xiangshan has a great mountain and city view of 101.  Just take the new red line to the end Xiangshan Hiking Trail. Beitou also has great walks and hot springs.  Just take the red line and transfer to the pink line Millennium Hot Spring - Xinbeitou in Beitou.  There are great riverside bike paths that start Taipei Zoo and go toTamsui.  Just make sure to take a rain coat and umbrella and enjoy the outdoors!!

David
Wulai is also a lovely place where has several trails for hiking. length from 1/2 day to 2 days. some of the trails are paved. For those doesn't, better hired a tour guide.

1. Wulai (city)
  2. Xindian (city)
  3. Maokong (attraction)
  4. Maokong Gondola Taipei Zoo Station (attraction)
  5. Xiangshan Hiking Trail (attraction)
  6. Beitou (neighborhood)
  7. Millennium Hot Spring - Xinbeitou (attraction)
  8. Beitou (neighborhood)
  9. Taipei Zoo (attraction)
  10. Tamsui (attraction)
Jing-Wen

Qingtiangang, another nice place of Yangmingshan National Park

You can take bus s15 from MRT station Jiantan.

Here's website

1. Qingtiangang (attraction)
  2. Yangmingshan National Park (attraction)
Diana from New York City

There are definitely great hikes around Taiwan and even though Taipei is a city, there's great hiking spots there too!

Here's a website for some great single day hiking trips: http://www.taiwan-adventures.com/trips-and-tours/day-trips/

Yangmingshan National Park is a popular hiking spot in Taipei and will give you great views of the city. There's also (if your up for it) the Four Beast Mountains:

http://hikingtaiwan.blogspot.com/2009/07/four-beasts-and-others.html

Here's also a great article on where to cycle along the river in Taipei. http://kitchen.j321.com/taipei-cycling-bicycle-bike-rent-hire-path-taiwan

Hope these help!