Columbus

Tacoma

What is Tacoma weather like in the summer?

I know this is fundamentally a ridiculous question since there’s no way to tell until you get there, but can someone give me an idea of what the weather is like in the summer in Tacoma? I’m planning a trip there but given how cold the winters are in Columbus where I live, I’m not sure if I want more of that for my summer, so I may go in early spring instead.  What's the weather typically like there?  Shorts and flip flops weather, or jeans and jacket weather?

Suzanne

Spring in Tacoma can be a gamble.  You might be bless'd with a beautiful warm spring day in April (jean and jacket kind of warm) but more likely it will be rainy so bring a umbrella.  Shorts and flips flop weather is more towards summer like June.  Best month of all to visit would be August.  It is absolutely beautiful here.  Safe travels

Brockton from Seattle

Mid-summer, Tacoma can get into the 80s, but is mostly pretty mild. Pack your shorts/flippy-floppys but also pack a sweatshirt - summers in the NW are great but we still get rain!

Kris from San Leandro

The weather could be hot or rainy never know with the Northwest, I wouldn't plan on wearing flip flops (but you might be able to).  The flowers will be beautiful.

David

High 70's to mid 80's in the summer. Evenings are nice and cool in the 60's

Wendy from Gig Harbor, Washington

Tacoma is usually very sunny and pleasant in the summer.  Weather from the 70s to 80s.  Flip flops and shorts.  Maybe a light jacket or sweatshirt for evenings.

Spring is much more likely to be overcast and rainy.

kai from University Place, Wa

Wear shorts and a t-shirt, but bring a sweatshirt/fleece for after sunset no matter if it is July or August - it gets chilly after sunset. 

Michael from Tacoma

°

Tacoma Summers are variable. One summer can be cool in June, a bit warmer in July, and sunny in August and September. Another can be dry most days. Online info tells me that temperatures average 72° in June with 1.57" of rain, 77° in July and August with about 1/2" of rain and 71° in September with 1.3" of rain. Tacoma weather in June reminds me of Paris weather in June. Evenings often are cool; most folks throw a sweater or a light jacket in the car. Tacoma doesn't get too many thundershowers. If we get rain, it may last for a day or two, or just sprinkle from time to time. Locals don't carry umbrellas, as a rule. A Gore-Tex jacket and a cap or sun hat suffices for weather protection. In winter, one adds a fleece layer and a sweater and ignores the rain.