Steph
California

Sydney, Auckland, Melbourne, Queenstown

Where to visit in Australia and New Zealand for 9 days?

Hello!  I have about 9 days for a vacation, and we are planning to go to Sydney (this is in mid-May).  We'd also like to take a side trip to either Melbourne, Queenstown, or Auckland.  Can someone recommend which city we should visit, and if 9 days total will be enough for two cities?  Thanks!

Kevin from Sydney

Queenstown is definitely a must-go! 9 days should be OK for visiting two or three places but a bit tight for 4 cities. It would be absolutely nice to stay in Queentown for at least two or three days, not to mention places near to it such as Wanaka etc are also worth to play around.

1. Queenstown (city)

Andrew from New Zealand

Definitely worth stoping by Auckland if you can, even if it's just to say you've been to NZ :)  Queenstown is a good tourist spot, but I'm a fan of Auckland, you can't beat a waterfront city and golden NZ beaches in the warm May weather.

If you head to Auckland I'd suggest staying on the North Shore, as close to the beaches as you can (anywhere between Milford and Devonport). From there you'll be close to the golden sand beaches, plus you can catch a ferry across to the city.

You may also want to head to the very top of the country (tour busses or self-drive), or a ferry to the various islands less than an hour off the Auckland coast.

Even if you were here for just a few days I think it would definitely be worth your while :)

1. Auckland (city)
  2. Queenstown (city)

Phillip from Caloundra

A great day trip to do while in Sydney is to take the train to Scenic World at Katoomba. The 2 hour scenic train ride up into the Blue Mountains will only cost you $2.50 if you go on a Sunday and will include the connecting bus trip to the gates at Scenic World where you'll be able to ride the world's steepest railway and take in view of Australia's iconic Three Sisters in what is our answer to the Grand Canyon. I explain more on this blog post....

http://phillipoverton.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/scenic-world-worlds-steepest-railway.html

1. Sydney (city)
  2. Katoomba (city)
  3. Blue Mountains (attraction)
  4. Three Sisters (attraction)

Michelle from Melbourne

I'm not sure how you're planning to fly over here but, if you want to visit New Zealand it would make sense to make a stopover in Auckland, either on the way over or way back.

Queenstown is spectacular but you'd need to take a connecting flight from Auckland. Having said that, there are direct flights with Jetstar from both Sydney and Melbourne to Queenstown so you could come to Australia, take a flight to the south island of NZ and then head up to Auckland to get your flight back to the US.

It is, however, a lot to pack in for just nine days. I'm also a bit biased, being from Melbourne, so I'd always recommend you come here!

It really depends what you're into. If you're looking for outdoorsy adventures, Melbourne in mid-May probably isn't the best fit for you. If you're looking for great food and wine (which is what I always look for!) then Melbourne is a terrific place year round. It also has the advantage that it's just over an hour's flight from Sydney.

I wouldn't spend more than a couple of days in any of the cities. It would be awesome if you were thinking of hiring a car to get out into the countryside and get a real flavour for Australia.

1. New Zealand (country)
  2. Auckland (city)
  3. Queenstown (city)
  4. Sydney (city)
  5. (attraction)

Nardine from Tamworth (England)

HI

You can fly directly from Sydney to Queenstown with Virgin Australia.

May will be late autumn/early winter time in NZ don't forget which, will be especially noticeable in Queenstown.

Auckland will be milder, I think it will give you a better insight into NZ as a whole with plenty of options of other places to visit nearby.

Queenstown is great but it's quite isolated in comparison and a more insular view of NZ, it does however house the mighty Fergburger... that alone may be worth the trip!

Quinn from Auckland

I'd recommend QueenstownAuckland and Melbourne are not hugely different to Sydney, in my opinion there is more to do, and more fun to be had in Queenstown. It depends what sort of holiday you are after though, Queenstown is a town rather than a city, and is more known for adventure tourism, while the other two cities are more or less your typical city. If you'd rather not, I'd say Auckland if you want to experience something a little different to Australia. Melbourne however is a lot bigger than Auckland, has better shopping etc. and may interest you more. You wouldn't need to spend more than a couple of days in a city like Auckland, there is plenty to do in New Zealand if you want to venture out however (you wouldn't have to travel far). Also, Queenstown is a bit colder than the other two in May, if that matters.

1. Queenstown (city)
  2. Auckland (city)
  3. (attraction)

Alex from Melbourne

Yes, 9 days will fine for two cities. I'm from Melbourne, so am biased. It is a very cool city and quite different to Sydney. Its also very easy to get to from Sydney, with the flight being approx 1 hour. 

Choose Queenstown if you want to go skiiing.

Auckland if you want to try NZ, although you probably need to get out of the city to see the real NZ.

1. (attraction)
  2. Sydney (city)
  3. Queenstown (city)
  4. Auckland (city)

Jody from Medicine Hat

I haven't been to Melbourne so cannot comment on it. Queenstown was awesome - it is considered the 'adventure capital' of NZ - lots of adventurous activities there. It's a small touristy town but fun. Auckland was only in for a day or two, but it seems like a typical city. Some beautiful parks but Queenstown was more interesting/fun in my opinion.

1. (attraction)
  2. Queenstown (city)
  3. Auckland (city)