David
Milwaukee

Sydney

Unusual attractions in Sydney

Hey, Everyone!

Headed to Sydney for business which will probably involve a lot of very predictable sight-seeing while I'm with work people so I'd like some unusual ideas for things to do while I'm not with them. I love interesting neighborhoods and great people-watching sights.

Dave

Shauna from Santa Monica, California

Definitely check out Shark Island!  Aside from being stunning and inspiring (to say the very least) this is THE place for surfing and bodyboarding. Went here with my adventurous yogi friends.

If you can make it up to Surry Hills, try to stay a night in The Cricketers Arms Hotel. Arty, very bohemian & casual hotel that is known for being "off the grid" and encourages people to hang out. Plus you can get fish and chips in their pub.

If there's any chance of making it to Tasmania, do NOT miss Bay Of Fires! In a nutshell, there was a sea captain who was out at sea in the late 1700's doing what sea captains do until he spotted the campfires of local Tasmanians. Most likely exclaimed in wonderment, It's a Bay of Fire! I know it doesn't make much sense now, but when you see it, it will!

I know this answer is a little all over the place, but you said unusual. :)

1. Shark Island (attraction)
  2. The Cricketers Arms Hotel (hotel)
  3. Bay Of Fires (attraction)

Ian

Hey

Jump on the train to Cabramatta, a vietnamese suburb that will make you feel like you ate in Asia. Amazing and authentic food. No tourists here.

For a good bar experience visit Darlo Bar or Green Park Bar in Darlinghurst on a Friday evening and see who you meet!

1. Cabramatta (attraction)
  2. Darlo Bar (attraction)
  3. Green Park Bar (attraction)

Bruce from Sydney, Australia

Go and see kangaroos in the wild.