Catherine
Chapel Hill

Sydney

Best outdoor activities in Sydney?

First trip to Sydney and can't wait to explore! I'm looking for the most fun things to do outside. Hiking, swimming (best beaches), camping, etc... What are your favorite outdoor activities? 

Jared from Sydney

So many great things to do! I live here and I still find great outdoor things to do!  

I recommend: 

- climbing the Sydney Harbour if you have time and money 

- venture out to the Blue Mountains - Katoomba and Blackheath have some great bush walks 

- the Royal National Park south of Sydney is also fantastic (Bundeena is wonderful) 

- Jenolan Caves in the Blue Mountains are the oldest cave system in the world. They offer great adventure hours including abseiling! If you're feeling really adventurous, the Six Foot Track from Katoomba to Jenolan is a must do!

1. Sydney Harbour (attraction)
  2. Blue Mountains (attraction)
  3. Katoomba (city)
  4. Blackheath (city)
  5. Royal National Park (attraction)
  6. Bundeena (attraction)
  7. Jenolan Caves (attraction)

David from Sydney

Within Sydney (although you shouldn't miss a trip to the Blue Mountains) there are loads fun outdoor activities to do.

1. Camping: Cockatoo Island in the Harbour is a great place to camp. If you want to combine a beach and camping, then go to Coledale Beach Camping Reserve. Details on camping spots are here.

2. Hiking: Do the The Spit to Manly hike, or go to the Royal National Park and do the Palm Jungle and Burning Palms Beach walk. More details on hikes in Sydney are here.

3. My pick of the beaches are Manly Beach and Palm Beach for surfing or body boarding, and Shelly Beach or Camp Cove Beachfor diving or snorkelling. For more details on beaches go here and for diving and snorkelling here.

1. Cockatoo Island (attraction)
  2. Coledale Beach Camping Reserve (attraction)
  3. The Spit (attraction)
  4. Manly (city)
  5. Royal National Park (attraction)
  6. Manly Beach (attraction)
  7. Palm Beach (attraction)
  8. Shelly Beach (attraction)
  9. Camp Cove Beach (attraction)

Thomas from Vancouver

Surfing! If its your first time I recommend lessons

Rod from Sydney

Hi, I am not sure you will be doing a lot of swimming and beach time in Sydney at the moment as it has been freezing there. You can swim all you round, and I do, but you do need to be a little brave as its pretty cold. Depending where you are staying, but my fav beach is Manly. It has a great vibe and at this time of the year it is only locals. Take a drive up the northern beaches to Palm Beach. Ask local for directions along the other beaches. For a beautiful harbour beach check out Balmoral Beach. As for hiking and camping its not a great time of the the year for any of these activities. The Blue Mountains has great walks but it snowed there last week. Melbourne is the best place to visit in winter in Australia for food and wine and if you want outdoors and the beach head to far north Queensland (FNQ). My sister has just spent a week in Port Douglas and has been swimming. I hope you enjoy Sydney. :-)  

1. Manly (city)
  2. Palm Beach (attraction)
  3. Balmoral Beach (attraction)
  4. Blue Mountains (attraction)
  5. Port Douglas (attraction)

Chuck from Calgary

Can't go wrong hitting up Bondi Beach or Manly Beach (obviously).

1. Bondi Beach (metro area)
  2. Manly Beach (attraction)

Adrian from Lima, Peru

Try surfing in Manly Beach. Also take Systema lessons http://systemasydney.com/ 

1. Manly Beach (attraction)