Olga

Switzerland

Where to visit, stay, explore in Switzerland in the winter?

Hoping to go during the winter time. Where to go, stay, eat & see?? Help.

Carissa from Sydney

I visited Switzerland and spent 4 nights in Interlaken. It is an adventure town and in walking distance to the Lauterbrunnen, and the train up Jungfraujoch mountain, which passes Wengen a popular ski village. The best thing about the train is it is the 3,454 metres above sea level and is Europe's highest-altitude railway station built through the mountain of rock, ice and snow. The town has a laid back vibe with awesome places to stay, if you are backpacking and enjoy hostel accommodation you cannot go past Balmer's Herberge - voted number one hostel in Switzerland many years in a row. They offer dorm rooms, private rooms and an outdoor and indoor dining area for everyone to get together. There is also a bar downstairs where locals come to visit. It's a mountain town and surrounded by beautiful lakes and rivers, so a perfect winter spot. 

1. Interlaken (city)
  2. Lauterbrunnen (attraction)
  3. Jungfraujoch (attraction)
  4. Wengen (attraction)
  5. Balmer's Herberge (hotel)

Eleonora from L'viv

Hi, Olga! 

Switzerland is truly magic during the winter time, especially if you like skiing and snowboarding or if you simply enjoy snowy mountain views :) I would suggest catching the Glacier Express Brig or Bernina Express. Zermatt or Wengen would be the top choice for me. If you prefer biggest cities with more cultural attractions, thenLucerne or Zurich, I think.

Have a lovely trip to Switzerland! I hope I can go there some time soon as well :)

1. Switzerland (country)
  2. Glacier Express Brig (attraction)
  3. Bernina Express (attraction)
  4. Zermatt (attraction)
  5. Wengen (attraction)
  6. Lucerne (city)
  7. Zurich (city)

malia from Cajamarca

Hey Olga =) I live in Switzerland so I guess I'm not an expert on all the hotels etc. but bottom line: It just depends on you budget and what you want to do / see. Switzerland is great for winter sports so you could just stay in one of our beautiful mountain towns / winter sport resort towns like Zermatt, Laax, Arosa, Gstaad to name a few and hit the slopes every day.. I think they have like hostels or cheaper accommodation in all of those places and they most definitely have fancy or midrange hotels. the cheapest way would probably be if you tried to couchsurf (couchsurfing.com) if you'd also like to see our beautiful old cities like Bern the capital or Zurich or Lucerne (my favorites) then I recommend staying somewhere in the lower regions, preferably in one of those cities where there are a lot of options when it comes to accomodation and then just doing day or weekend trips up to the Alps =) The mountains are never more than about 4-5h away by train and the trainrides themselves are awesome.. you get to see so much of our country and the landscape! I heard the glacier express was actually really really nice to go on because it takes you ond this route through the mountains. PS: I don't recommend going anywhere "summery" like lakes or rivers or to Appenzell or Ticino because let's face it most places in switzerland (well besides the mountains and anything that looks pretty covered in snow) are better and more beautiful in summer :) in the lower areas often rather get rain and slush and it's cloudy as opposed to sunny and snowy up in the mountains :) have fun on your trip I hope this helped.. lonelyplanet.com has some really good articles and advice too, on any country

1. Zermatt (attraction)
  2. Laax (city)
  3. Arosa (attraction)
  4. Gstaad (city)
  5. Bern (city)
  6. Zurich (city)
  7. Lucerne (city)
  8. Alps (attraction)
  9. Appenzell (city)
  10. Ticino (city)

I would highly recommend Lucerne. It is a spectacularly beautiful setting on a lake, nestled in the mountains.  Cobble stone streets that sort of wind their way uphill.  Perfection. 

It is close to other larger cities that you can easily incorporate Basel and/or Zurich into the trip if you wan't to see more than one place.

1. Lucerne (city)
  2. Basel (city)
  3. Zurich (city)

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

We spent a Christmas week in Grisons (Graubunden canton), and had a wonderful time. If you're bent on skiing, you should know December is a little early in to be assured of good snow. Davos was gray, rainy and slushy that week, but it has nice restaurants. We did enjoy Chur, the oldest town in Switzerland (there are artifacts from 12,000 years ago). It's off the beaten track, in the Romansch-speaking part of the country, charming, beautifully situated in the mountains and considered a shopping mecca by a lot of Europeans. And yes, someone else here mentioned the Glacier Express -- it was magical, with good dining options and incredible alpine views.

Incidentally, re: winter sports, if you're less than a confident skier, an option we enjoyed is sledging -- several Swiss resorts have several-mile-long alpine sled runs. Great fun for kids. We had a fantastic time doing that at Les Diablerets, on a separate occasion.

If you will be in Switzerland at Christmastime, you'll probably enjoy the Christmas Markets they have in every decent-sized city. We enjoyed them in Lausanne and Zürich HB.This is what Chur looks like.

1. Grisons (state)
  2. Davos (city)
  3. Chur (city)
  4. Les Diablerets (city)
  5. Lausanne (city)
  6. Zürich HB (attraction)