Jaclyn
Angelika Film Center & Cafe

Switzerland, Lucerne

First visit to Switzerland

Visiting for the first time with family and making Lucerne our home base for three nights, coming from and going to Milan before and after. What would you do with the time and how would you maximize the train rides to and from Milan? 

Thank you!

I've only been to Lucerne for a day once before, but I have to say that Mt Pilatus is a must.  It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.  There's a bus in Lucerne that takes you to the base, and from there, you can ride a gondola up.To experience some of big city life, Zurich is very close by.  The historic town of Zug is even closer by, which was my home base since I was staying with a friend there, but for a 4 day trip with family, I'm not sure it's worth it, but just throwing it out there.  It reminds me of cleaner and more quiet Venice or Prague with cobblestone ground and the cutest old buildings.Have fun!

1. Lucerne (city)
  2. Mt Pilatus (attraction)
  3. Zurich (city)
  4. Zug (city)

Steve from Carolina Beach

I'd say at least one full day should be dedicated to Mt Pilatus. Take the ferry across the lake, ride the steepest cog railway in the world and soak in the beauty of the Switzerland. On the Gondola ride down, make sure to hop off and find the alpine slide. Once you finish your descent, a bus will take you back to town. I beleive they call this the Golden ticket trip. It's amazing. Can't recommend it enough. 

Also in Lucerne, check out the Lion Monument and spend some time walking the old city. The town is full of charm and beauty. The lake water is crystal clear and elegant swans gracefully float about adding to the scene. I have never breathed fresher air. The alps loom in the distance and crown this magnificent city. Lucerne is the kind of place you see when you close your eyes. Make sure your leave time to just enjoy the scene. I did, and I will never, ever forget it.  

1. Mt Pilatus (attraction)
  2. Lucerne (city)
  3. Lion Monument (attraction)