Cathy

Switzerland, France, Italy

Driving trip through Switzerland, France and Italy.

Starting in Geneva and making a loop with 2 weeks of driving through Switzerland, France and Italy,  Trying to see the most we can

Dave from Houston

What worries me about your trip is that you may spend too much time driving and not enough time seeing. Two weeks can go by very fast. 

In my opinion Annecy France is the best destination near Geneva. I would head there first and spend at least a day or two. After that I'd probably head to Lucerne and spend 3 or 4 days there. Much to see and do. Ride those lake steamers around Lake Lucerne stopping for lunch on the outdoor terrace of Park Hotel Vitznau. The hotel is a large white five star property that you can walk to from the dock in Vitznau.  Take a trip to the top of the mountain. From Lucerne I'd drive to Lugano which is very close to the Italian border and shares both Swiss and Italian culture. It is a lovely city worth at least a day or two. From Lugano you're into the Italian Lakes country and close to Milan. I'd head for Lago d'Orta and a day or two at the Villa Crespi (small luxury hotel with great restaurant) would be my big splurge of the trip. If I hadn't already slowed down and run out of time my additional destinations would be Verona and Venice. What I've outlined here is really too much for a two week trip, Repeat after me: "Less is More."

1. Annecy (city)
  2. Geneva (city)
  3. Lucerne (city)
  4. Lake Lucerne (attraction)
  5. Lugano (city)
  6. Milan (city)
  7. Lago d'Orta (attraction)
  8. Villa Crespi (hotel)
  9. Verona (city)

Celine from Geneva, Switzerland

I would say around Geneva try to see Annecy and Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, go to central Switzerland (Lucerne), pass over the alps to go to Venice and go back towards France through Tuscany (go as far as Rome if you have the time). Then cross the border and see Provence. You're never able to see everything, so you might as well go to fewer places that you'll really enjoy.  

PS: the list above is already A LOT for two weeks!!

1. Annecy (city)
  2. Chamonix-Mont-Blanc (city)
  3. Lucerne (city)
  5. Tuscany (state)
  7. Provence (region)

DAN from Switzerland

Terry from Sarasota

Starting in Geneva, I would suggest driving to Grindelwald and stay perhaps a couple of days. It is a great area to hike and see surrounding mountains, including Eiger.  It would have been perhaps a more straight forward trip if you had started in Zurich rather than Geneva, because I would suggest next driving to Lake Annecy which is a stunning part of France; beautiful Lake, surrounded by scenic geography and you would be only a short drive away from Mont Blanc and the Chamonix-Mont-Blanc valley. Be sure to ride the cable car up to the top of Mont Blanc, as it is an amazing ride!

After Lake Annecy (where you should spend a minimum of two days to see everything), I would suggest driving to Lyon which is considered to be the gastronomic capital of France.  Beautiful city sitting astride two rivers, very scenic and well worth some of your time.

If by now you haven't used up all of your time budget, I would suggest driving to Château de Chambord and visit the many Chateaus along the river.

There would have been a number of great drives into Italy from Switzerland, but France is well worth the visit.

1. Geneva (city)
  2. Grindelwald (attraction)
  3. Eiger (attraction)
  4. Zurich (city)
  5. Lake Annecy (attraction)
  6. Mont Blanc (attraction)
  7. Chamonix-Mont-Blanc (city)
  8. Lyon (city)
  9. Château de Chambord (attraction)