Gina
Portland

Switzerland, Swiss Alps

Advice on Ski resorts in Switzerland?

Hi Everyone! I'm planning on going to Switzerland in August, and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for ski resorts, and what to expect.

We just want to spend a day up there to experience skiing in the Alps, but we weren't sure if ski resorts would be open mid-August, and if it would be affordable. Obviously we would have to rent our equipment and snow gear so we'd have to factor that in, as well. We don't have anything set in stone as far as where we'll be staying, but what would people recommend as far as transportation to/from the mountain, or even around Switzerland in general? 

Thanks for everyone's help!

Alice from Minneapolis

Hello Gina.

If you're looking to ski in the summer, I would say your best bet for good snow would be Zermatt.  You can rent skis there, and the town is lovely!

1. Zermatt (attraction)

Jesse from Saint Catharines, Ontario

I went to Jungfrau and it's beautiful there! You should definitely travel there when you visit Switzerland.

1. Jungfrau (attraction)

nicolas from London

Hey Gina, public transports are very efficient in Switzerland (especially trains) and deliver every cities/villages. It is a bit pricy through so if you are staying for a few days I would recommend you to buy a tourist public transport pass (dont remember the exact name) cff.ch

August is definitely not the best month to ski, the only place you can find a bit of snow is glaciers (Zermatt, Saas-Fee, Glacier 3000). I would rather recommend you to enjoy the lake instead that are really nice during summer time (Lake Zurich, Lake Geneva, Lake Neuchâtel)

1. Switzerland (country)
  2. Zermatt (attraction)
  3. Saas-Fee (city)
  4. Glacier 3000 (attraction)
  5. Lake Zurich (attraction)
  6. Lake Geneva (attraction)
  7. Lake Neuchâtel (attraction)