Shelley

Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland

Winter in Scandinavia - must do, must see, must eat

My husband and I are planning a one month trip to Scandinavia this winter to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary. We have a few items on the list already including Noma, Norway in a Nutshell, world junior hockey championships in Helsinki, and glass igloo accommodations in Finland. What would you recommend we add to the list?

Edward from Stockholm

Hi there! You might like the Icehotel in Sweden, far up north. It's a hotel made out of ice. Otherwise Icebar in the capital Stockholm might be an option. That's a bar made of ice. You get to wear coats and are only allowed to stay for one drink. :) If you do go to Stockholm, check out Skansen, an outdoor museum as well as animal park. You might also like the romantic old town of Stockholm, where you'll find Christmas markets and narrow alleys: Gamla Stan. Really nice during the winter. And I always recommend to spend some time in Södermalm, a district in Stockholm with many shops, bars, cafés, parks and much more.

Sweden has lots of castles that all well worth a visit, such as Taxinge Slottscafé AB - a castle with a café with a huge selection of cakes and pastry (they claim to have the biggest selection in Europe). Or check out the art collection and a really badly stuffed lion at Gripsholm Castle or have afternoon tea at Sundbyholm Castle.

And I'd like to add that Norway is incredibly beautiful! I've been in (and on the countryside nearby) Bergen and Odda and can highly recommend it. The fjords are amazing!

Have a great trip!

1. Icehotel (hotel)
  2. Icebar (restaurant)
  3. Skansen (attraction)
  4. Gamla Stan (attraction)
  5. Södermalm (region)
  6. Taxinge Slottscafé AB (restaurant)
  7. Gripsholm Castle (attraction)
  8. Sundbyholm Castle (restaurant)
  9. Bergen (city)
  10. Odda (attraction)

First of all, your plan sounds like a lot of fun. If I were in the Scandi-Nordic area during winter for a month, I'd definitely:

-Find somewhere to do a lot of cross-country skiing. Nuuksion National Park would be a good spot considering how nice the hiking trails are in summer. I also noticed a lot of warming huts.

-Spend some time ion Tromso for the Northern Lights. And for the middle-of-winter marathon event that's held there. Can't remember the name of it.

-Hang out in Turku. It seems like it would be unbelievably idyllic in winter with all the rivers.

1. Nuuksion National Park (attraction)
  2. Tromso (city)
  3. Turku (city)