Ann
Melbourne

Sweden, Norway, Denmark

Suggestions for must sees or places that I should stop at through my travel

I am travelling to Scandinavia for a month in January and will be travelling from Stockholm to Kiruna, as far as Tromso Norway, back south through Norway and then to Denmark. Any suggestions for 'must see's' or places that I should stop at through my travels? I have no set plans, love the outdoors and exploring new places. 

Simon from Lanzarote

Scandinavia is all about forests and, at least in Sweden and in Norway(don't know about Denmark) we have a thing calle "allemensrätt", which means you can camp wherever you want. So I recommend you to "get lost", as in the nature lies all the beauty. From Stockholm to Kiruna the landscape are pretty similar, but a very nice place to stop by is  Skuleskogens National Park near  Ornskoldsvik. Where you can see true Swedish nature. At the same time you will also be close to  Sundsvall Which is one of the biggest cities in the north of Sweden and it is really nice for a daily visit. I've never had the chance to visit Sweden's more northern part, but I've been told that  Kiruna and all its landscape is worth visiting. At the time you are in  Sundsvall I recommend you to visit  Alnön as well, where you can see the typical summer houses(sommar stugor) from Sweden. When it comes to Norway I have no knowledge so there I can't help. But in Denmark I recommend you to visit the West Coast, where you can find the cities of  Aarhus  Aalborg and  Esbjerg. In this last one, I truely recommend to visit the Island of Fanoe, probably the highest and biggest tourist attraction from Denmark that is is not a major city or  Legoland Parken, also located close to the Esbjerg area. I recommend of course the Capital  Copenhagen to where you can find a high number of tourist attraction. I hope it will help you. Have a nice trip in beautiful  Scandinavia :)

1. Skuleskogens National Park (attraction)
  2. Ornskoldsvik (city)
  3. Sundsvall (attraction)
  4. Kiruna (attraction)
  5. Alnön (island)
  6. Aarhus (attraction)
  7. Esbjerg (attraction)
  8. Legoland Parken (attraction)
  9. Copenhagen (city)
  10. Scandinavia (metro area)
  11. Aalborg (city)

Zita

I strongly recommend you Icehotel in Jukkasjärvi. It's about 20km from Kiruna and there are buses running every day to Icehotel and back :)

1. Icehotel (hotel)
  2. Kiruna (city)

Luc from London

If you have time to stay in the north of Sweden until the beginning of February, I would advice you not to miss the Jokkmokk Market (Jokkmokks Marknad).

This event is one of the biggest event of the year in the Sami culture. The market exists for more than 400 years and is a very important gathering moment for the Sami people. It is a great opportunity to discover Sami's culture in a short time. It is held from the Thursday to Saturday of the first weekend of February. If you want more info:  http://www.jokkmokksmarknad.se/

Jokkmokk in itself is also worth stopping for a day during the rest of the year, and especially visit the Ájtte, the Swedish Mountain and Sami Museum.

Enjoy your trip and wish you to see northern lights :)

1. Jokkmokks Marknad (attraction)
  2. Jokkmokk (city)
  3. Ájtte (restaurant)

Tom from Irvine

Uppsala Cathedral in Uppsala, Sweden

1. Uppsala Cathedral (attraction)