Miriam
Seattle

Sun Valley

Affordable hotels in Sun Valley?

My friends and I want to go skiing soon and we're trying to decide where to go.  I’ve heard that the Sun Valley area can be pretty expensive but does anyone know any affordable hotels in the area?  We're trying to choose between a couple of ski destinations for a ski weekend and Sun Valley is my first choice, but not if it’s cost prohibitive to everyone.  There will be about 4-5 of us.  Thanks!

Sara from Bend

Hi Miriam - There are hotels and other accommodations in various price brackets in Sun Valley. While it's generally true that Sun Valley is not necessarily inexpensive, it's very much on par with comparable ski resort areas and is definitely worth visiting! In my experience, it's easier to navigate and much friendlier than places like Jackson Hole or Park City.

Sun Valley Resort (Sun Valley Resort) offers package deals with lift tickets that are often the best deal - look for rooms in the SV Inn - but there are many other options as well, especially if you don't want to eat every meal out. Moderately priced hotels include  Tamarack Lodge (Tamarack Lodge recently remodeled) and  Best Western Kentwood Lodge (Kentwood Lodge a little outdated) which are both right downtown ( Ketchum is the real town, Sun Valley is also technically a town but mostly just the resort), as well as the Bellemont Hotel of Sun Valley (Bellmont Hotel formerly the Clarion Inn) and the  Best Western Tyrolean Lodge (Tyrolean Lodge Warning: their website lists restaurants that closed over 15 years ago, I've asked them to fix it for years!). By far the cheapest hotel in town is the Lift Tower Lodge but it's definitely budget motel level.

There are several condo rental companies - High Country and ResortQuest are big ones. I also know people have had great success making offers to owners through CraigsList and VRBO. You might also try FlipKey by TripAdvisor. A good condo rental location is the Christophe which is walking distance to both town and the River Run side of the main mountain and they also have kitchens and outdoor hot tub access (at the Tyrolean).

Here's an example of a current promotion in Sun Valleyhttp://www.visitsunvalley.com/about/web-specials/stay-and-ski-65-personnight?utm_source=N6103.133347.ADROLL&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=Winter20132014

Have a great trip!

1. Sun Valley Resort (hotel)
  2. Tamarack Lodge (hotel)
  3. Best Western Kentwood Lodge (hotel)
  4. Ketchum (city)
  5. Sun Valley (attraction)
  6. Bellemont Hotel of Sun Valley (hotel)
  7. Best Western Tyrolean Lodge (hotel)
  8. Lift Tower Lodge (hotel)