Christie

Christie from New York City asked

Suggestions for Stockholm, Sweden

Hi Travelers!

I am looking for suggestions for my visit to Stockholm, Sweden in February 2015. I am planning a long weekend (Thursday - Monday).

I would love any ideas you have on places to stay/ best locations. I am looking for reasonably priced, yet still with a boutique feel. 

Also, would love any suggestions for young people~ (Casual nightlife, coffee shops, restaurants, etc). 

Do you recommend any day trips out of Stockholm?

I will be visiting Stockholm as part of my travels for www.SunshineandSkylines.com - so excited!

Thank you! 

Stockholm

Jörgen from Vaggeryd

Hi. To stay in Stockholm is expensive when it comes to city hotels. I would suggest you try a AirBnb contact or really look for bargains on the internet. Hotell Anno 1647 is one really nice hotell close to the old town, a bit expensive Columbus Hotell AB is another. 

When in Stockholm you have to visit the Vasa Museumwhich in my mind is the best museum in Stockholm. If you are in to music there is the Abba The Museum close to Vasa Museum. 

Stockholm has good shopping in the area of Hötorgetand surrounding area. 

When in comes to restaurant I would recommend the old town or Södermalm area. Lots of concept restaurants like veggie, fish, country cuisine, swedish cuisine and so on. 

1. Hotell Anno 1647 (restaurant)
  2. Columbus Hotell AB (hotel)
  3. Vasa Museum (attraction)
  4. Abba The Museum (attraction)
  5. Hötorget (attraction)
  6. Södermalm (region)
Edward from Stockholm

Hi there and welcome to Stockholm!

Depending on the crowd you're looking for you could either visit the district of Östermalm with its center located at Stureplan (frequented by people with lots of money, brats some would say, even members of the royal family in their younger days) or Södermalm (hipsters, political views towards the left, trendy people). Or mix them both. The nightlife is more casual in Södermalm though. Of course other parts of Stockholm have bars and restaurants as well but not nearly as many as Södermalm. Plus: this neighborhood has a younger average age than the others.

In Södermalm you should check out the cafés, bars and restaurants around NytorgetSkånegatan, Götgatsbacken Mariatorget or Hornstull. You'll find a great weekend brunch at Marie Laveau, beer at Morfar Ginko & Pappa Ray Ray and dinner at Angry Diner (diner at Timmermansgatan 24) or Blue Light Yokohama(amazing Japanese food).

And even though they are overpriced, you might appreciate a visit to any of the many cafés in Gamla Stan(the old town of Stockholm) and maybe have a drink at Pharmarium.

There are plenty of day trips, depending on your interests. Castles, nature, archipelago, zoos, boat trips... I recommend Artipelag, which is an art gallery and a restaurant out in the archipelago. They also hosts different shows. At the moment, Cirkus Cirkör (contemporary circus/nouveau cirque) is playing a fantastic piece called "Knitting Peace". You can travel by public transportation to Artipelag. Read more here: http://www.artipelag.se/en

Have a great time in Stockholm!

1. Stureplan (attraction)
  2. Nytorget (attraction)
  3. Skånegatan (attraction)
  4. Götgatsbacken (attraction)
  5. Mariatorget (attraction)
  6. Hornstull (attraction)
  7. Marie Laveau (attraction)
  8. Morfar Ginko & Pappa Ray Ray (attraction)
  9. Angry Diner (attraction)
  10. Blue Light Yokohama (restaurant)
  11. Gamla Stan (city)
  12. Pharmarium (attraction)
  13. Artipelag (attraction)
Melissa from Portland

Definitely have a look at the Columbus Hotell AB. I know it's a Best Western but it truly feels like a cute little boutique hotel in say, the Meatpacking District of New York. This was my go-to place when I first moved to Stockholm!