Stuart
Amsterdam

Stockholm

A Design Weekend in Stockholm

I am planning a short trip to Stockholm and am particularly interested in scratching my designer itch whilst I'm there. I'd like to find cool, local shopping areas where I can buy beautiful things, would like to stay in a hotel which is more inspiring and interesting than the typical business hotel, and would love to hear about great restaurants and cafés for relaxed dining and somewhere I can spend a couple of hours working from my laptop. 

I'm not opposed to getting out of the city centre to find great places, and will be travelling alone, my trip will be 2 or three days depending on flights from Amsterdam. 

Edward from Stockholm

Hi Stuart!

There are plenty of things that I could recommend, here's a few:

• Visit Färgfabriken: you may enjoy the café (they have an amazing grilled cheese and great brunch!) as well as the exhibitions and events. Read more about Färgfabriken here: http://www.fargfabriken.se/en/
  • As others have mentioned, Södermalm is THE district to visit. You'll find both shopping and cafés/food/bars here. Skånegatan, Bondegatan and Nytorget (and the surrounding smaller streets) are probably just what you are looking for. Shop clothes and stuff at Grandpa and eat an fabulous but still relaxed dinner at Nytorget 6. Have a truly genuine Södermalm-experience amongst hipsters, emo-kids and dads on parental leave when working from your laptop at Café String. But don't miss out on the other parts of Södermalm! There's also a lot of things happening in other areas such as MariatorgetZinkensdamm T-bana and Hornstull
  • There is a business chain called Designtorget. They sell lots of Swedish design from both up-and-coming designers and more established ones. They have several locations in Stockholm, such as DesignTorget AB(Götgatan) and a really big one nearby Sergels torg.
  • You might also enjoy Artipelag (exhibitions, shows and food in the archipelago) or Hornstulls Marknad (street market every Sunday, during May-September, lots of design).
  • Since I live in Stockholm, I might not be the best person to recommend hotels but I'll still give it a try. Clarion Hotel Stockholm has a great location in Södermalm but it might be to business-like for you. A more interesting option is Långholmen Hotell Stockholm (an old prison turned into a hotel). More expensive alternatives such as Hotel Rival AB (they also have great bar) or anywhere in Gamla Stan (the Old Town) are also good options.

Have a great time in Stockholm!

1. Färgfabriken (attraction)
  2. Södermalm (region)
  3. Grandpa (attraction)
  4. Nytorget 6 (restaurant)
  5. Café String (restaurant)
  6. Mariatorget (attraction)
  7. Zinkensdamm T-bana (attraction)
  8. Hornstull (attraction)
  9. DesignTorget AB (attraction)
  10. Sergels torg (attraction)
  11. Artipelag (attraction)
  12. Hornstulls Marknad (attraction)
  13. Clarion Hotel Stockholm (restaurant)
  14. Långholmen Hotell Stockholm (hotel)
  15. Hotel Rival AB (hotel)
  16. Gamla Stan (neighborhood)

Mark Emil from Denmark

A great casual food experience, make sure to stop by Urban Deli ABenjoy it on the square out front, of  Nytorget!!

1. Urban Deli AB (restaurant)
  2. Nytorget (attraction)

Irene from Stockholm

You'll find plenty of good working cafés with a nice atmosphere in Stockholm. My top choices would be il caffe (Il caffe- have a cardamom bun with your coffee), Louie Louie STHLM HB (Louie Louie), and Kabinet Sweden (Coffice) - all located on Södermalm. If you are on the other side Sixten & Frans (Sixten and Frans) is good. 

1. il caffe (restaurant)
  2. Louie Louie STHLM HB (attraction)
  3. Kabinet Sweden (attraction)
  4. Sixten & Frans (restaurant)

Phil from Liverpool

This hotel (Story Hotel Riddargatan AB) looks pretty nifty. http://www.storyhotels.com/stureplan/ 

You'll probably want to explore Södermalm for shopping, drinking, and generally hanging out. Götgatan is great for that. The area that hotel is in (Stureplan) is full of rich kids and people trying to be seen as rich kids. Nice to look at, but you'll feel more at home on söder.

1. Story Hotel Riddargatan AB (hotel)
  2. Södermalm (region)
  3. Götgatan (attraction)
  4. Stureplan (attraction)

Peter from Copenhagen

Stockholm is a great city, with loads of things to explore. As for hotels, try Ett Hem, which is a very unique and special small hotel. It is top luxury, but kept in a very different style, as it is situated in an old villa in a residential area.

As for eating there is plenty of great places, like Restaurant FrantzénEkstedt and Mathias Dahlgrens Matsalen

Enjoy it there. 

1. Ett Hem (hotel)
  2. Restaurant Frantzén (restaurant)
  3. Ekstedt (restaurant)
  4. Mathias Dahlgrens Matsalen (restaurant)