Jackie

Starwood AMEX vs Barclaycard Travel Credit Card?

Hi Travelers,

After many years of Platinum Status (I will maintain Lifetime Gold), I'm thinking about replacing my Starwood Preferred Guest AMEX with a Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard. I've used SPG points for flights, but Barclaycard has no foreign transaction fees and seems to offer a better value per spend. Does anyone have any advice? I welcome guidance!

-Jackie

Steven from Atlanta

Where are you going? The Barclay card is best for global travel for 2 reasons (aside from the already mentioned no foreign trans fee): 

1) Mastercard is accepted virtually everywhere. Amex is not widely accepted out of the US.

2) The Barclay card is one of the rare US cards (for now) that comes with the EMV + PIN technology used throughout the rest of the world. 

With 2.2% back on travel purchases it's up there with the best of any card out there for travel rewards as well, and their sign up bonus is nearly top notch to boot. 

My advice: Don't cancel your Starwood, use it when it makes sense to (when the rewards are better than 2.2% or your staying at a Starwood), but definitely get the Barclay as well for the perks mentioned above.