Shelby
Scottsdale

St. Louis

Where are the best places to stay in St. Louis?

Spending a week in St. Louis for work and I need to figure out where I should stay. Where are the popular areas to stay close to restaurants, shops, bars, etc.. 

Charmaine from St. Louis

Hi Shelby!  You are smart to make a plan. So if you can say more about what you want, your fellow Trippers can more accurately list places for you to consider. My friend Kelley, traveled a lot for her work . She'd locate all the TJ.Maxx stores in an area, plot them on a map, choose a place to stay (with a nearby) Star Bucks, and then plan an itinerary to hit them all. Popular pockets are spread over whole area so to minimize time in traffic and maximize fun time, pick one that is close to work and explore it in depth. Visit other pocket when you learn of it from concierge, co-workers, etc. A few urban pockets include The Grove, Washington Ave, The Delmar Loop, Central West End, Lafayette Square, Arch-Laclede's Landing. The most centralized is Clayton (Missouri), the county seat and most expensive per sq. ft. so the best chic-chic shops such as Marta's Boutique Byrd Designer Consignment Boutique, and Ivy Hill Boutique on Ladue Rd. Have fun in St. Louis!

1. The Grove (attraction)
  2. Washington Ave (attraction)
  3. The Delmar Loop (attraction)
  4. Central West End (neighborhood)
  5. Lafayette Square (neighborhood)
  6. Arch-Laclede's Landing (attraction)
  7. Clayton (Missouri) (city)
  8. Marta's Boutique (attraction)
  9. Byrd Designer Consignment Boutique (attraction)
  10. Ivy Hill Boutique (attraction)

Ahmed from Cairo, Egypt

1. The Westin St. Louis (restaurant)
  2. Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch (hotel)

Russ from Carthage, Missouri

Highly recommend The Cheshire on Clayton Road. Centrally located. Foodie neighborhood.  Great pub Fox & Hound.  Stayed their many times.

1. The Cheshire (restaurant)
  2. Fox & Hound (restaurant)

When I'm in town for work, I stay either downtown or out in Frontenac.  Both are convenient for plenty of food options.  Downtown, I prefer the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch especially if you get a nice view of the river and the Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark.  There is a nice, unique hotel out near Frontenac, Hilton St. Louis Frontenac that is just across the street from the mall (very nice mall) and lots of restaurants.

1. Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch (hotel)
  2. Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark (hotel)
  3. Hilton St. Louis Frontenac (hotel)

Carter from Duxbury, Massachusetts

Hi Shelby - If you are planning on staying in a hotel, I would recommend either near Washington Ave (between 16th and 4th), the Clayton (Missouri) area, or the Central West End. There are great restaurants near each of those areas. Let me know what area you pick and I can recommend some restaurants/bars to check out.

1. Washington Ave (attraction)
  2. Clayton (Missouri) (city)
  3. Central West End (neighborhood)