Jacqueline
Philadelphia

St. Louis, Missouri

How to spend a weekend in St. Louis?

Hi All!

I'm going to be in St. Louis for a weekend and wondering what kind of cool things I can do in a weekend? Any must visit places to eat to check out? Anywhere to avoid?

I'm pretty adventurous, love the outdoors, art, music and museums! 

shelley from Collinsville

Hi Jacqueline - welcome to St. Louis! I have lived & worked in many areas of StL my entire life and there are a lot of fun things to do in this town! I'll recommend my favorites because there are too many to let them all: 

1. The Loop - specifically Fitz's Restaurant. Home of Fitz's Rootbeer!  

2. Missouri Botanical Garden on Shaw Ave. 

3. Powell Symphony Hall on Grand Blvd - home of the St Louis Symphony Orchestra. Check out a concert www.stlsymphony.org 

4. Visit Historic St. Charles Missouri - www.historicstcharles.com 

5. The Missouri History Museum - located on the Lindell side in Forest Park. It is a great museum - and it's FREE :) 

6. We also have a nice Art museum and a wonderful zoo - also in Forest Park - and also free! 

7. If you want to stay in a bed & breakfast near downtown try out The historic Lemp Mansion right across from Anheuser-Busch, Inc - www.lempmansion.com 

8. Brewery tours - of the company that makes Budweiser beer - www.budweisertours.com 

9. Delicious steaks! - Tucker's Place South in Soulard (also near the brewery). - www.tuckersplacestl.com 

There is plenty to do, see, and eat in St. Louis!! Have Fun :)

1. The Loop (attraction)
  2. Missouri Botanical Garden (attraction)
  3. Powell Symphony Hall (attraction)
  4. Missouri History Museum (attraction)
  5. Forest Park (attraction)
  6. Lemp Mansion (restaurant)
  7. Anheuser-Busch, Inc (attraction)
  8. Tucker's Place South (restaurant)

Carter from Duxbury, Massachusetts

There is a ton to do in St Louis, especially during the warm months. I would suggest spending a day in Forest Park since you enjoy the outdoors, art, music, and museums. Forest Park is a giant park in the middle of St. Louis. Located inside is the Saint Louis Art Museum as well as the Missouri History Museum. They also have a ton of free concerts throughout the week/weekend. Check out this website for more info - http://www.forestparkforever.org/home-2

1. Forest Park (attraction)
  2. Saint Louis Art Museum (attraction)
  3. Missouri History Museum (attraction)

Rob from Branson

Hey there Jacqueline,

St. Louis is a neat city--you'll have a great time!

1. If you've never seen the ol' Gateway to the West (Gateway Arch) it's a must of course. The park that surrounds it, right on the Mississippi, is a great area to run, jog, picnic, or just relax and take in the city. 

2. Food/Drink/Entertainment

Ted Drewes Frozen Custard. Just go. It's a must. It's so good. And you'll never want any other custard again. Or for real food, check out the Italian district called The Hill, or Pi Pizzeria downtown. Blueberry Hill is also a great restaurant in the Delmar Loop with live music and entertainment. 

3. As far as art goes...

The Saint Louis Art Museum and the Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis will do the trick. Great art pieces, both international and local. For a more unique spin on art, you can visit the City Museum. Really, there's no way to explain it other than calling it a 5-story playground for people of all ages. The place is nuts and always packed, but so fun. Just Google it and check it out. 

4. Outdoors

The St. Louis Zoo is free and they always have something fun going on it seems. Also, Forest Park Ave surrounds the Zoo--it's huge. There's an outdoor theater, botanical garden nearby, and tons of space to hike or explore the outdoors.

5. Where not to go...

East Saint Louis. I know have had some wild (and by that I mean dangerous) experiences, so I'd stay on the west side of the Mississippi River. It also has a reputation of being one of the worst neighborhoods in America. That said, I have met some nice people from East St. Louis before, but just play it safe. There's not much to "see and do" on the east side of the river anyway.

All that to say, I just gave you soooo many options, but it's better than nothing, I guess. That should give you a solid start for the weekend. Have a great time in St. Lou!

Take care,

Rob

1. Gateway Arch (attraction)
  2. Ted Drewes (restaurant)
  3. The Hill (neighborhood)
  4. Pi Pizzeria (restaurant)
  5. Blueberry Hill (attraction)
  6. Delmar Loop (neighborhood)
  7. Saint Louis Art Museum (attraction)
  8. Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis (attraction)
  9. City Museum (attraction)
  10. St. Louis Zoo (attraction)
  11. Forest Park Ave (attraction)
  12. East Saint Louis (city)