Sarah
Seattle

St. Louis

Art and music festivals in St. Louis?

I'm thinking of heading to St. Louis at some point in the spring or summer.  What and when are the best art and music festivals there?

Matthew from St. Louis

Hi Sarah, 

LouFest and Festival of Nations are good ones for sure. Depending on when you're coming and what you're interested in, I would recommend browsing through the KDHX events calendar. KDHX is the local independent music station that (in my opinion) is one of the great cultural assets of the city. They sponsor a lot of their own events around town, and they also maintain the most comprehensive events calendar I've ever found for the area. Just poke around there and see what catches your interest. (To be honest though, I'm sometime frustrated with the functionality of the calendar on their website; it just doesn't seem intuitive to me. One tip: click on 'Show Archive' on the top right to search or view past events.)

Otherwise, in any given week, there will be something happening at Missouri Botanical GardenTower Grove Park, or Forest Park

Also, at various times during the year, most of the municipalities around town will have their own arts fair, "Taste of" event, or some other signature festival. Some of the bigger, better ones are the St. Louis Art Fair in Clayton, the GreenTree Festival in Kirkwood, the Old Webster Jazz & Blues Festival, and GroveFest. (All of which are also posted on the KDHX calender.)

There are often events at the Arch grounds or on Laclede's Landing downtown, but they are in the middle of a total (and much needed) reconstruction of the riverfront, especially by the Arch and so many of these events have been relocated to other venues. 

Hope this helps!

Matt

1. Missouri Botanical Garden (attraction)
  2. Tower Grove Park (attraction)
  3. Forest Park (attraction)

Jennifer from St. Louis

Loufest is so much fun!! It is in Forest Park

Its in September

It is a very scaled down version of loufest but still a great experience

I know downtown Clayton  has several art festivals throughout the year

1. Forest Park (attraction)

Shelby from St. Louis

If you are planing on going to St.Louis at the end of the summer towards the end of summer, there is a big musical festival in Forest Park called LouFest. They have big bands, like the 1975 and Arctic Monkey's this summer. They have the festival of Nations towards the end of August also in Tower Grove Park. I really suggest going to the Festival of Nations.

1. Forest Park (attraction)
  2. Tower Grove Park (attraction)