Juliette

Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka backpack for a girl alone

I would like to visit Sri Lanka for Christmas and I love to travel alone but I would like to know if it is a safe destination to go? If you have been there, please let me know... Thanks

Rob from Costa Rica

The country is incredibly safe and with a bit of luck you should not experience any issues, I would suggest though that you travel with another westerner if you can. Whilst 95% of the time it is OK, all it takes is a group of boys drunk on Arak to see you and it could potentially be dangerous. that's the reality. Hope this Helps

Mailys from Sydney

Hi Juliette - I visited Sri Lanka with my little sister (23) last August for 3 weeks and we never felt unsafe ! We actually saw a few women travelling on there own as well. If you are used to travelling on your one and are keen on it, go for it !!

Lalitha from Cincinnati

If you stay on the mostly touristy places, I think you will be safe. Just don't wander around by yourself at night. There have been some recent incidences with foreign women, so you should be careful. Majority of the people are very helpful and speak English.

Arifuddin from New Delhi

Bon jour Juliette,

Am also planning a solo trip from India to Sri Lanka during Christmas holidays probably for 10 days. Am looking for other solo travellers for company.i have one Sri Lankan friend in Colombo and maybe one friend will introduce me to other friends.Sri Lanka is relatively safe but having said that better to be careful after dark. Please do let me know in case your trip is still on!

Regards

Arif