Andrea
Varese

Andrea from Varese asked

Places to visit and suggestions on things to do?

I bought a ticket to Colombo, Sri Lanka and I need some advice on places to visit, things to do and places to sleep.

Thank you :) 

Sri Lanka   Colombo

Hanna from Minsk Mazowiecki
Hi Andrea!
When exactly are you going to Sri Lanka and for how long? 
Do you want more sightseeing, outdoor activities or maybe spend some time on the beach? Sri Lanka really has a lot to offer! ;)
If you go beg. October - end April I recommend to stay on one of the beaches of the South (like Unawatuna - it's really close to colonial city Galle), and May - September on the East or North of the island (like Trincomalee).
Great places to sightsee: Polonnaruwa (is more interesting than popular Anuradhapura), Sigiriya, cave-temples in DambullaKandyColombo(but don't spend there too much time as it's not as nice as the rest of the country!).
I recommend to take train from Kandy to Ella- it goes through mountains with tea estates - spectacular views! In Ella you can visit tea factory and do some hiking.
Very popular hiking destination is Adam's Peak - people climb at night to see the sunrise.
I really liked safari in Yala National Park.
I can give you also some addresses of places I've stayed. They're cheap (up to 20$ per room) and simple but clean. Usually it's a family guesthouse and sometimes they cook for you for extra money (not expensive) but it's really delicious! However, I'm not sure what sleeping conditions are you interested in. :) I loved the places I've stayed in so would be happy to recommend them for you!

Andrea
2 weeks 28/03/2015 to 09/04/2015. I have no plans :) everything is good. I have time to visit. I just bought the plane ticket and i'm going to book a place in Colombo for 2 days at the beginning and 1 at the end because my departure is very early. I just want to chose nice places to sleep. If you have suggestion of places :) it's very good :)

Hanna
Great! :) In Colombo there is a hostel in the Fort, just in the heart of the city and, it's called City Rest I guess? You can find it on hostelbookers or hostel world. In Dambulla I stayed in Healey Tourist Inn, just near cave temples. The owners are nice and it's clean and cheap place but nothing special. There is not much to do in Dambulla, though, so just focus on sighsteeing there and go south :) In Kandy I stayed in a 150 years old hotel called Olde Empire Hotel, it's just near the Tooth Temple but you cannot make the reservation earlier because they don't have a bank account :D So you can just go there when you come to Kandy and ask if they have free room. It's really great place with nice tarrace with colonial furniture and plants and it's quite cheap. From Kandy I took the train to Ella and there is really big choice of accommodation - take a look on agoda.com they have a lot of cheap and nice places to stay! If you want to go to safari in Yala stay somewhere in Kataragama, there is also a big choice of accommodation on agoda. Tissamaharama is also nice but it's not so close to Yala as Kataragama. In Unawatuna I stayed in Amma's Guesthouse, just near the beach. The owners are extremely friendly and they told me how much I should pay for tuk tuk rides, because the drivers gave me 4x higher price than normal! And it's very close from Unawatuna to Galle so you can just go for some sightseeing or shopping (there is no ATM or market in Una) with a tuk tuk or bus. :)

1. Unawatuna (city)
  2. Galle (city)
  3. Trincomalee (city)
  4. Polonnaruwa (city)
  5. Anuradhapura (city)
  6. Sigiriya (city)
  7. Dambulla (attraction)
  8. Kandy (attraction)
  9. Colombo (city)
  10. Ella (city)
  11. Adam's Peak (attraction)
  12. Yala National Park (attraction)
Carole from Paris

Our itinerary in Sri Lanka was as follows:

- Colombo - we barely visited the city

- Jaffna spent two night there after a 9-hr bus ride from Colombo, visit the town after the end of the civil war, there also are beaches accessible (Point Pedro) by local bus

- Anuradhapura half day to visit some of the ancient ruins

-Polonnaruwa we spent the night and rented bicycles from our guesthouse to visit the ancient ruins. We stayed at Devi Tourist Home

- Dambulla where we took a local bus to visit Sigiriya Rock Fortress. We stayed at Saman's Guesthouse

- Habarana where we slept in a treehouse hotel called Eagle's Wings Lodge Habaranaand visited Minneriya National Park where we witnesse elephants migrating in the summer time.

- Kandy where we relaxed and visited the Temple Of The Sacred Tooth Relic

-Galle where we stayed inside the Fort - there are cafes, beaches, gem stores, museums

Hope it helps! Beautiful country, very easy to travel by bus. Happy Travels! If you have any questions, don't hesitate.

1. Colombo (city)
  2. Jaffna (city)
  3. Anuradhapura (city)
  4. Polonnaruwa (city)
  5. Devi Tourist Home (hotel)
  6. Dambulla (attraction)
  7. Sigiriya Rock Fortress (attraction)
  8. Saman's Guesthouse (hotel)
  9. Habarana (city)
  10. Eagle's Wings Lodge Habarana (hotel)
  11. Minneriya (attraction)
  12. Kandy (attraction)
  13. Temple Of The Sacred Tooth Relic (attraction)
  14. Galle (city)
Eranga from Colombo

Actually if you are looking for any places with historical or cultural valuable or if you are looking for any places with natural beauty then I'm sorry Colombo is not the place for you. This is our Commercial Capital. So it's over populated, noisy, polluted, mostly artificial city. But there are few places that you can visit.

But if you want to get the best out of this trip and if you have few days.... these are better choices than colombo : 

so... enjoy my friend...

1. National Museum (attraction)
  2. Dutch Museum (attraction)
  3. Galle Face Green (attraction)
  4. Gangaramaya Temple (attraction)
  5. Viharamahadevi Park (attraction)
  6. Kelani Raja Maha Viharaya (attraction)
  7. Colombo Zoo (attraction)
  8. Independence Square (attraction)
  9. Galle (city)
  10. Matara (city)
  11. Trincomalee (city)
  12. Anuradhapura (city)
  13. Polonnaruwa (city)
  14. Kandy (attraction)
  15. Nuwara Eliya (city)
Dinesh from Knoxville

1. Bentota (city)
  2. Hikkaduwa (attraction)
  3. Kumana National Park (attraction)
  4. Pasikuda (attraction)
  5. Kandy (attraction)
  6. Sigiriya (city)
  7. Anuradhapura (city)
  8. Jaffna (city)
  9. Kumana National Park (attraction)
Yousuf

There are a variety of hotels all around the country! Depending on your budget it shouldnt be very hard to find a hotel or a small inn.
Be aware when you take a "TUK TUK" or known as a three wheeler, they are known for ripping off foreigners with very outragous fares, make sure they have a meter that is working or do not get into them, they will charge you almost ten times the actual fare. If you are travelling to beaches, Bentota, Beruwala and Hikkaduwa are relatively close by, about an hour or two. They have some super hotels as well.

1. Bentota (city)
  2. Beruwala (city)
  3. Hikkaduwa (attraction)
Gayan

Hi Andrea,

When exactly plan to come Sri Lanka. Kandy, Nuwara EliyaGreat World's End Drop trekking, Ella by train, Yala National Park and Ventura Beach and Colombo night life within 8 days you can cover up those amazing places in Sri Lanka. You can find easily clean and economical  accommodation according to your budget.

1. Kandy (city)
  2. Nuwara Eliya (city)
  3. Great World's End Drop (attraction)
  4. Ella (city)
  5. Yala National Park (attraction)
  6. Ventura Beach (attraction)
  7. Colombo (city)