Renzo

Sri Lanka, Sigiriya, Anuradhapura, Dambulla, Kandy, Nuwara Eliya, Ella

Cultural Triangle and the Hill Country

Will spend 4 days/nights inland and would like to choose the best location(s) to set base to visit the above mention regions. So I would stay 2 nights in one hotel around the cultural triangle (Sigiriya, Anuradhapura, Pollonaruwa,Dambulla), and another 2 nights in the hill country (Adams Peak, Kandy, Knuckles range, Nuwara Eliya, Ella, Haputale, horton plains etc). Can you provide any insights ?

Supun from Carson (California)

Hi again Renzo. 

For your first area, I'll recommend 2 types of  places. I've stayed at Sigiriya Rest House and I really liked the view. You can see the Sigiriya Rock Fortress from their rooms. You are very much in nature here, and we had a frog sneak into our bathroom--some of ladies in our group went crazy. The owner is very nice and they make great tea. If you want to avoid the frogs, you can also stay at Sigiriya Village Hotel. That's more of a "high end" hotel. I've never stayed there--it's pricier than the rest houses. Another tourist friendly place closer to the main highway junction is Cinnamon Lodge Habarana.

For your second area, I'd recommend a guest house or bungalow near Adam's PeakI can't remember the name of the place I stayed at here, sorry, and I'm sure they did not have a website. Newspaper listings might be a good option to look up places and prices. If you're there during a holiday, make sure you book ahead of time and confirm the day before.

This is one of the most beautiful places on earth. If you're Christian or Muslim this is where Adam (of the Adam and Eve story) moved to when he was kicked out of Eden, not bad, huh? If you want to be like Adam, Ravanna (from the Ramayana), Buddha, Siva, Fa Hien, Marco Polo and a bunch of characters who have supposedly been up to the peak, I'd recommend finding a spot in Hatton or in Nuwara Eliya proper. The hike to the top will take half a day or the whole day depending on how fast you want to go. Around New Year's time, people hike up over night to see the sunrise.

And of course if you want to be further way from Siripada (Adam's peak) finding a tree house lodge like Ella Jungle Inn (from my last answer) is fun too.

I hope this gives you some ideas of what's possible. The smaller mom and pop rest houses can be as little as $20 a night (or cheaper) and the bigger hotels will be like $60-100/night. 

1. Sigiriya Rest House (hotel)
  2. Sigiriya Rock Fortress (attraction)
  3. Sigiriya Village Hotel (attraction)
  4. Cinnamon Lodge Habarana (hotel)
  5. Adam's Peak (attraction)
  6. Hatton (city)
  7. Ella Jungle Inn (hotel)
  8. Nuwara Eliya (city)