Aneska

Sri Lanka

Beaches and Sunbathing?

I am planing a trip to Indian sub continent and I was wondering what are the best beaches in Sri Lanka for sunbathing..

Tania from New York City

Between Hikkaduwa and Weligama you will find several options from populated to deserted beaches. When filming for our travel series Booker Travels, we did a nice episode that shows the coast, and we also posted some info on the places we visited and stayed in our tips section of the site. Kabalana is also worth checking, beautiful clean beach, stilt fishermen nearby.Do you have a place to stay? If I may recommend, Era Beach by Jetwing is amazing. Have a wonderful trip! I loved Sri Lanka.

1. Hikkaduwa (city)
  2. Weligama (city)
  3. Era Beach by Jetwing (hotel)
  4. Kabalana (attraction)

Maduka from Maldives

Hi Aneska,

Sri Lanka has several beaches for sunbathing and down south area most famous among the most of the tourists.  Hikkaduwa Beruwala Galle and Trincomalee are the most famous places for beaching and sunbath. Please check the weather condition before you travel if you only looking at sunbath.

But if you are looking for more privacy and luxury please consider Maldives. Maldives has beautiful islands and ideal for sunbathing.

1. Hikkaduwa (city)
  2. Beruwala (city)
  3. Galle (city)
  4. Trincomalee (city)
  5. Maldives (country)

Mailys from Sydney

Hi Aneska ! It all depends on when you are going. I was there last August and the best beaches were on the East Coast : Arugam Bay indeed where there is a few beach bars and restaurants, where you are happy drinking fresh fruit juice and eating grilled fish facing the water  - There is also Trincomalee with Nilaveliand Uppuveli beaches are quite nice - Pigeon Island National Park being a white sand beach with a great spot for snorkelling:

We could definitely sunbath and take a swim on these spots:

I would also recommend the south: Talalla is a wonderful quite white sand beach or Tangalle. both are wonderful for chilling and sunbathing but hard to swim in August at least as the waves were numerous :)

I reckon beaches on the West coast are not that nice.

Have a great trip, Sri Lanka is an absolute Gem !

1. Arugam Bay (attraction)
  2. Trincomalee (city)
  3. Nilaveli (city)
  4. Uppuveli (attraction)
  5. Pigeon Island National Park (attraction)
  6. Talalla (city)
  7. Tangalle (city)

Dulanga from Sri Lanka

Hi Aneska,

I can suggest below Beaches.

• Lovely Arugam Bay is the east coast’s most traveller-friendly destination.
  • Pasikuda Beach, recognized as one of safest beaches in Sri lanka is very famous among the travelers who travel around the Sri Lankan tourism areas

Hope above details are help for you

Best regards,

Dulanga

1. Hikkaduwa (city)
  2. Arugam Bay (attraction)
  3. Pasikuda Beach (attraction)