John

John from Chicago asked

Things to do in Springfield, Illinois with kids?

We're heading to Springfield with a 2-year-old and 6-year-old. We'll visit the Lincoln attractions of course, but looking for other things to do and see as well. We'll be there for about 2-1/2 days (2 nights), staying at the Residence Inn (close to I-55). We have a car, so we can get around easily. I know there's Knight's Action Park, but our kids are not as into water parks so not sure if it's worth it. Also we're heading there soon, so it won't be hot weather yet. The kids are into Presidents, so maybe more historical things will be of interest. If you've done this trip and have any tips or advice for us, let me know.

Also, any tips for the drive from Chicago to Springfield? We're planning to stop in Bloomington (Illinois), not sure what else.

Springfield (Illinois)   Bloomington (Illinois)

Maria from Fort Worth

Your kids are little young, but the Lincolns Tomb State Historic Site is a humbling experience and is located in Oak Ridge Cemetery.  Springfield also has wonderful Italian restaurants. I ate at Saputo's. It has wonderful old world Italian food. 

1. Lincolns Tomb State Historic Site (attraction)
  2. Oak Ridge Cemetery (attraction)
  3. Saputo's (restaurant)

I am not as familiar with roads on the northern part of the US as I am of the southern part, so I can't really suggest places to stop on the way from Chicago to Springfield (Illinois) via Bloomington (Illinois)

And I have never visited Springfield  - but it does have some other places which might work for children

Ergadoozy Creative Play Center Margery Adams Wildlife Sanctuary and Sky Zone Trampoline Park (although that might be a little advanced for the 2 year old.  There is also the Henson Robinson Zoo  and Washington Park Pavilion