Spokane

What's the best neighborhood in Spokane for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Spokane and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Spokane is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Jennifer from Spokane, Washington

I'm on here trying to figure out my trip to SF tomorrow....so funny. Saw your post and here is my advice as I have been here my whole life (thankfully I travel to keep me happy here.) I would stay downtown, there is so much more to do and see.  Lots of fun areas to walk around to.  Kendall Yards is nearby and is up and coming...not a lot there but great dining spots.  Good place to rent a bike and be sure to hit Brain Freeze Creamery for ice cream. Staying downtown puts you by Riverfront Park which is fun to go through...many bridges over the river with great views.  Take a ride on the gondola to get a close up of the falls.

Any of the Davenport properties are a home run. (Really nice one just opened up, it is gorgeous.)  No matter what plan to at least walk through the old historic Davenport.  Then the sister property nearby is a great place to get a drink/bite to eat for happy hour.  They can run a bit high so to watch $ you could stay with any chain hotel downtown.  

Spokane is pretty easy to figure out compared to LA.  Basically when you get in at the airport, you are in Airway Heights, just West of Spokane, 10 minute drive puts you downtown.  

*Stay on the freeway heading east about 20 minutes and you will be in the Spokane Valley (boring).  But! if you continue driving another 35-40 minutes from the valley you'll be in on to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho which is so fun this time of year.  Public beach and you can rent paddle boards,etc. Great little resort town! Hike Tubbs Hill to find your own way down to the lake if you want a fun easy hike.  

* Take a downtown Spokane exit south and you'll be in an area called the South Hill. There is a fun area called the South Perry District is there, worth a trip.  Lots of cool historic houses and old money make up the south hill.

*Take a downtown Spokane exit and go north, you will just be on your way to normal stores/shopping. 

Also downtown, I love Zola.  Look them up online and see what music is playing, changes nightly.  Low key and so fun.  Next door is Boots Bakery & Lounge which is open late with an awesome vegan menu of goodie.  Across the street is the Saranac Public House...during the day you will find a few antique stores and my favorite boutique is close too, called Lolo Boutique.   

1. Brain Freeze Creamery (attraction)
  2. Riverfront Park (attraction)
  3. Airway Heights (city)
  4. Spokane Valley (attraction)
  5. Coeur d'Alene (attraction)
  6. Tubbs Hill (attraction)
  7. South Perry District (attraction)
  8. Zola (restaurant)
  9. Boots Bakery & Lounge (restaurant)
  10. Saranac Public House (restaurant)
  11. Lolo Boutique (attraction)

Lillian

Spokane is a beautiful place to visit and offers many things to do.

Try the The Davenport Hotell at 10 S Post St this is great and close to everything. 

1. Spokane (attraction)
  2. The Davenport Hotel (hotel)

Kelli from Kellogg, Idaho

I would recommend staying in downtown Spokane, near Riverfront Park. The hotels along the river have great views and easy access to shopping, nightlife, local events, and Riverfront Park. 

Here's a little clip about Riverfront Park: 

The City of Spokane's Riverfront Park is considered one of the most scenic urban parks in the nation. With over 100 acres to explore, much of it located on an island, you are sure to discover the magnificent Spokane Falls and River, the Expo '74 Pavilion, 1902 Clocktower, 1909 Looff Carrousel, the Sculpture Walk which includes the Riverfront Rotary Interactive Fountaingiant Red Wagongarbage eating goatVietnam MemorialCentennial Trail bike pathHavermale Point and inviting meadows and conservation areas. There is something to discover around every corner. Wildlife consists of ospreys, beaver, marmots, ducks, geese and occasionally deer and coyotes.

Red Lion Hotel at the Park has nice views of the city and park. If you want the most historical hotel, then look at The Davenport Hotel. There are many nice hotels in the area. Check out TripAdvisor.com for Spokane hotels near City Center or Riverfront Park. 

Enjoy exploring the area !! 

Kelli Aiken 

1. Riverfront Park (attraction)
  2. Red Lion Hotel at the Park (hotel)
  3. The Davenport Hotel (hotel)