Heather

Spokane, Seattle, Cannon Beach, Sacramento

Washington - Oregon Coast Recommendations for Summer Trip from Sacramento

We are taking a family road trip (2 parents + two 13-yr olds) from Sacramento to Spokane this summer. Planning TO route by way of Crater Lake, Bend, Columbia River Gorge. Hoping for recommendations for coastal visits on the way back. Spokane - Seattle - Cannon Beach? Where would you go from there?

Heidi from Colorado

I am well-versed in travel in Oregon. I was born in  Brookings on the Southern Oregon Coast and my parents now live about an hour from Newport (Oregon)

We love Newport, especially Nye Beach  One of my favorite hotels, Sylvia Beach Hotel is along the shoreline there. If your kids are big readers, they may enjoy this hotel too. Each room is themed after an author. It's really a charming and one-of-a-kind place.

Be sure to eat at Local Ocean Seafoods while you're in town. The freshest seafood you'll find on the coast. We NEVER miss going there when we're in town.

Cannon Beach is a lovely town too, although it's much more crowded since it's closer to Portland.

The southern Oregon Coast is my favorite coastline in the world. Driving the old highway in that area is something that should be on everyone's bucket list.

Wishing you a wonderful trip! And I hope my two cents helps a little.

1. Brookings (city)
  2. Newport (Oregon) (attraction)
  3. Nye Beach (attraction)
  4. Sylvia Beach Hotel (hotel)
  5. Local Ocean Seafoods (restaurant)
  6. Cannon Beach (attraction)