Bianca
Miami

Spain

What to do, see and eat in Spain

My gfs and I have decided to go to Spain next year!   We actually plan on road tripping starting from the west border of France to the east side, then down south and loop back up in a circle.  I'll be starting in San Sebastian, then driving down to Barcelona, Valencia, Murcia, Marbella, Cordoba, then up to Madrid and back to San Sebastian.  What must we see and eat in each city?

Anthony from New York City

These places are awesome:

• Arzak: for truly great haute cuisine
  • Elkano: You come here for the turbot. Casual perfection.
  • Mugaritz Restaurante: some of the most important and creative cooking available anywhere in the world
  • Etxebarri: for the most amazing grilled food available--anywhere. This is where the great chefs want to die.

1. Arzak (hotel)
  2. Elkano (attraction)
  3. Mugaritz Restaurante (restaurant)
  4. Etxebarri (restaurant)

Tim from San Francisco

As far as food goes, go to Mugaritz Restaurante.  This is in my top-3 restaurants to visit worldwide. I met Andoni, exec chef, in Seattle. He apprenticed at el Bulli and is also a sweetheart of a guy.

1. Mugaritz Restaurante (restaurant)

Marc from Los Angeles

Don't miss Madrid! Love this city. A great place to start your adventure in Spain. I recommend checking out the Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas, it's the largest bullfighting arena is all of Spain. After a few days in Madrid it's great to take the train out to the outskirts and to small towns like Seville.

1. Plaza de Toros de Las Ventas (attraction)

Shauna from Santa Monica, California

DO NOT MISS Chocolateria San Gines!!! They make their hot chocolate here like some people like their coffee: thick, dark & strong.

Also, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía. Affectionately known as The Soffia, this museum is the home to some terrific Spanish art, most notably, Picasso's Guernica. I had one day in Madrid and realized the museum might close before I got there and once I'd made it was literally inspired to tears. Well worth the emotional outburst.

Try to make it to TTarragona. They have a fantastic tradition there where men known as "Castellers" create these human pyramids at several different festivals throughout the year. 

Try not to miss Seville. Hotel San Gil It has bunch of years since I stayed here, but it was a nice place with good rates. They had recent renovations & I love the look of their new pool & sundeck.

Alcazar Cathedral is stunning. Hard to imagine, but there are 80 chapels here and at one point in the late 1800's there were 500 masses per DAY. That's a whole lotta prayers.

Plaza de España is beautiful, too. This is now mainly government buildings, but it is terrific architecture and was incidentally, used in the movie Lawrence of Arabia.

1. Chocolateria San Gines (restaurant)
  2. Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía (attraction)
  3. Tarragona (city)
  4. Hotel San Gil (hotel)
  5. Alcazar Cathedral (attraction)
  6. Plaza de España (attraction)