Kaley
Mobile

Spain, Cuenca (Spain), Figueres, Girona

Travel tips on getting to the Dali museum from Cuenca?

I'll be studying abroad in Cuenca, Spain, this summer and will more than likely have a weekend (at least Saturday and Sunday) to visit the Salvador Dali museums in Figueres. Any tips on how to get there, best method of travel, which part of the museum to see, places to stay for a night, etc. would be wonderful! I'll be on somewhat of a budget, but am open to any advice and ideas you can give me!

Roger from West Des Moines

I'm reasonably certain you can take the train from Cuenca (Spain) to Figueres.  I believe the trip is about 6 hours long through Valencia and Barcelona.  According to http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Figueres/Cuenca, the ticket should cost about $150 round-trip.  

The Dali Theatre Museum, Figueres, Spain is small enough that you will be able to see all of it in detail in three or four hours.  

To me, Figueres is underwhelming as a destination, except for the Dali museum.

However, the area around Figueres is quite spectacular.  If you are able to go toward the sea, the Costa Brava town of Begur is my favorite small town in Catalonia (the Aiguaclara Hotel Begur there is a wonderful place).  If you must stick to the motorways and/or trains and don't have time for Barcelona, Girona is a must-see (a beautiful Medieval section, intact city walls and a spectacular cathedral).  If I were you, I'd find a hotel or inn in Girona or one of the small towns around Figueres and take the short trip by train or bus into Figueres.  Of course, you can check out airbnb.com also.

The food in this area is some of the best in the world, by the way.  

I'm sure your aware of this, but that area of Spain speaks Catalan and many there don't think of themselves as Spanish first.  Be sensitive toward that issue.

1. Cuenca (Spain) (city)
  2. Figueres (city)
  3. Valencia (city)
  4. Barcelona (city)
  5. The Dali Theatre Museum, Figueres, Spain (attraction)
  6. Begur (city)
  7. Girona (city)
  8. Aiguaclara Hotel Begur (hotel)

Alica from Australia

You can take a train route to reach Museum.