Sandi
Charlotte

Spain

So much to see in only 10 days!

I am planning a trip to Spain for my family of 4--Me and My husband and our 2 college age kids. We love travel and want to experience Spain. We fly in and out of Madrid. Any advise on itinerary, timing, cool things to do would be appreciated. We are not big museum fans, but love beauty, history and good food. I am torn between driving the northern parts spain and the history and tradition of the southern parts like Seville, Granada, Cordoba...Is it possible to do it all?

Claudia from New York City
Hi Sandi,
That's a tough decision, north or south. I'm having the same dilemma right now. For beauty, history and good food/wine, I would choose northern Spain and include the following places:
  • San Sebastian
  • Bilbao
  • Santiago de Compostela

Drive from Madrid to San Sebastian , San Sebastian to Bilbao and Bilbao to Santiago de Compostela . On your way back to Madrid, stop in Salamanca . WineTourismSpain.com has a 12-day itinerary that you may want to check out for ideas. 

1. Madrid (city)
  2. San Sebastian (city)
  3. Bilbao (attraction)
  4. Santiago de Compostela (city)
  5. Salamanca (attraction)

Joan
We took a road trip in Southern Spain and stayed in Paradors along the way. These lodging were in castles, churches and many other renovated places of interest. I would highly recommend doing this. The Parador booking site can plan your trip to fit your itinerary.

Yvonne
My husband and I were visiting our son in Barcelona a couple of years ago when he was studying there. From there we took him and our other college age son to Madrid for 4 nights. Because it was late November, after Madrid (which they loved) we sent the boys back to school and headed south. We loved our itinerary! We first went to Seville ( it will not mark on map for some reason) by train and stayed a few nights then rented a car and drove to Ronda and spent 1 night. After that we headed to Granada for 2 nights. We turned in the car at the train station there and headed back to Madrid for our last night before we caught our flight out the next day. All of our hotels were fantastic. Although in Madrid we rented a beautiful apartment right on Plaza de Santa Ana.Big mistake, the crowds partied all night long and we needed ear plugs to sleep :) It was a great location but I would recommend staying on a side street instead of on the actual plaza. Let me know if you want anymore details on places to stay, etc...happy to help.

1. Barcelona (attraction)
  2. Madrid (city)
  3. Ronda (attraction)
  4. Granada (city)
  5. Plaza de Santa Ana (attraction)