Trisha
Amritsar, Punjab

Spain, Madrid, Barcelona

Road Trip From Madrid to Barcelona: best things to see on the way?

I am travelling to Spain next month (November end) and have done a little research on the places to visit but I am really confused. I will be in Spain for 11 days. My rough itinerary looks likes this:

1. Madrid - 3 nights

2. Valencia/Seville - 2 Nights

3. (some place) - 2 nights

4. Madrid - 4 nights

Please suggest some beautiful as well as best party towns to visit on the way. Also, is there any other city which I MUST visit in spain. I can fly to that place if it is out of the route. Thanks a lot!

Beatriz from Madrid, Spain

Well, there are a lot of different cities in Spain, but I would recommend you Salamanca if you want GREAT party (although here in Madrid we have awesome places too ;) and Barcelona has too). I would choose Valencia rather than Seville, but if you go to Andalucía you can't miss Granada, which is awesome and has great party too. Then the north of Spain (País Vasco) is quite beautiful, but in a dfferent way. You're going to enjoy it anyway! :)

1. Salamanca (attraction)
  2. Valencia (attraction)
  3. Seville (city)
  4. Andalucía (attraction)
  5. Granada (city)
  6. País Vasco (attraction)

Enrik from New York, New York

For me, Barcelona is very beautiful, so you must visit this amazing city at least for 2 nights 

1. Barcelona (city)

Jahn from Barcelona

Hi Trisha,

please visit Barcelona. It is a must and only a short trip on the high speed train (AVE) from Madrid, or a 30 minutes flight with Vueling (cheap airline).

What to do there? Check out my free 3-day schedule #BCN - by locals.

I personally love the Parc de la Ciutadella, the Tibidabo and Sagrada Família.

But just with your description I am pretty blind on giving you more advice.

have fun, Spain is amazing! kind regards, Jahn

Parc:

Tibidabo

Sagrada

1. Barcelona (city)
  2. Parc de la Ciutadella (attraction)
  3. Tibidabo (attraction)
  4. Sagrada Família (attraction)

Sally from Los Angeles

Hi Trisha,

I'm a little confused by your itinerary since Barcelona isn't in there, but are you doing:

Madrid > Valencia > Seville > Barcelona > Madrid? I'm not sure where Barcelona fits in the picture.

Nonetheless, Saragoça (Zaragoza) is a great place to visit between Madrid and Barcelona. It has a beautiful and famous basilica and it's university town, so lots of opportunities to party (although Barcelona will be your best bet for that).

If you take a different route (according to the map), then I've heard great things about Cuenca (Spain). It's smaller historical city in the mountains with really interesting architecture. 

I haven't been to Valencia but I do recommend you take 2 nights in Seville if possible (unless you're in a rush). You can probably do everything in a day and a half if you rush your itinerary but there's a lot to see besides the church and alcazar. 

Let me know if you have specific questions. The cities you've chosen are fairly spread out but if you can allocate a little less time to Madrid and more to Seville and Valencia, you should be good. 

If you aren't driving the whole time, then check out movelia.es for buses and / or the AVE (fast train) which is a little pricey but good if you're feeling crunched on time.

Enjoy Spain!

1. Saragoça (attraction)
  2. Cuenca (Spain) (attraction)