BC
Sydney

Spain

Planning a road trip from San Sebastian to Madrid

Hi Everyone.

There are 2 of us travelling and we're planning a road trip (June 2017)  from San Sebastian to Madrid (approx 7 days) and hoping to stay in some nice paradors along the way which will also give us a chance for some culinary adventures as well as exploring the Spanish countryside. I would greatly appreciate any advice with regards the best route and the best paradors to stay in during this road trip.

Terry from Honaunau, Hawaii

Paradores are the best places to stay at in Spain!  I've visited or stayed in at least a dozen Paradores in Spain, still many more on my wish list.  Last Spain trip we we took two weeks from Santiago de Compostela to Barcelona.   If you can include the Parador in Santiago de Compostela you will not be disappointed!  It was a hospital and is considered to be the oldest hotel in the world!  The fine dining restaurant is in the morgue.  The city itself is beautiful!  I know that Santiago de Compostela is not in the most direct route between San Sebastian and Madrid but if you can somehow include it.  

If you are willing to go a little past San Sebastian de los Reyes the Parador de Hondarribia, a 10th Century Castle is beautiful!

Just a few paradores I recommend between your route includes the Parador in Santillana del Mar.  There are two there, one is rated 3 stars and the other is rated 4 stars.  We stayed in the Parador de Santillana (3 star) which was a Manor House.  But the Parador de Santillana Gil Blas, a 17th/18th century ancestral Home is the nicer option which unfortunately wan not available on our dates.  

The Parador San Marcos Sierras Hostel  in Leon is another amazing and beautiful Parador!  It was a 16th century Monastery - Hospital.  

Parador de Zamora is a 15th Century Renaissance Palace

Parador de Avila is a 16th Century Palace

Sorry my notes are at the travel agency but if you send me an email I will be happy to give you better details on the route I recommend and approximate distance between these and other towns.  

Terry@hawaigeneralstore.net

I'll be back in the office on Tuesday.  The following week I will be heading to Tahiti.

1. San Sebastian de los Reyes (city)
  2. Parador de Hondarribia (hotel)
  3. Santillana del Mar (city)
  4. Parador de Santillana Gil Blas (hotel)
  5. San Marcos Sierras Hostel (hotel)
  6. Parador de Zamora (hotel)
  7. Parador de Avila (hotel)

Steven from Santa Barbara

I would travel west of the Google route and make sure to spend some time on Segovia and Palencia, both of which feature some amazing culinary experiences uniquely Spanish!

1. Segovia (attraction)
  2. Palencia (attraction)