Luis
Ithaca

Spain, Madrid, Alicante, Pamplona, Barcelona, Seville, Majorca

Organizing "Spain by Train" trip

Can someone check this timeline and itinerary for me? I’m trying to plan out about two weeks that my best buddy and I will be spending in Spain. We’re trying to see as much of the country as possible and we both LOVE food so we would really appreciate some good restaurant recommendations. Also, we have hotels for Madrid and Alicante where we’ll stay with my friend’s family, but need some for the other areas. 

Start out in Madrid--

• Madrid: three days here
  • Take train to Pamplona: one day here
  • Take train to Barcelona: four days here*
  • Take train to Alicante: two days here
  • Take train to Seville: two days here
  • Take train back to Madrid: last day here and fly home. 

*Should we try to fit in Majorca here? Seems like a lot to fit in, but if we should then we will. 

Thanks very much!

I agree that Majorca is expensive to get to and probably needs more time; however, you may want to consider cutting Barcelona down to three days and stopping in Valencia for a day or two on your way to Alicante. It's truly a beautiful city - smaller and more intimate than Barcelona, but with a lot to see and some truly phenomenal places to eat. If you end up adding it to your list, let me know and I'll fill you in on some details.

1. Valencia (city)

Ellen from Bristol

Hi Luis

I don't know much about Majorca but I know that getting there from mainland Spain can be pricey!

However I can recommend several things to do in Spain in some of the cities you mentioned.

I know Madrid, Barcelona and Seville best.

Things you should check out:

Madrid: go to a MadRide free walking tour (you can find them on facebook) and maybe one of their flamenco/tapas/bar tours - the guys who run them are lovely and its very informal + fun.

Barcelona: I believe Parc Guell is without a doubt the no. 1 place to go in Barca. Check out the Barri Gotic too.

Seville: Go to the Reales Alcázares de Sevilla if you do nothing else. it's an amazing Moorish palace in the Centre / Jewish quarter. I could go on forever about Seville as I lived there so please get in touch if you want more detail!

For places to stay, check out www.sawdays.co.uk, they seek out interesting, quirky places (b+bs. hotels, villas) in Europe and you can book them online.

Top tip for eating on a budget: many restaurants do a "Menu del día" for about 10€ where you get 3 set courses and a glass of wine. Usually a good bet for eating well on a limited budget! x

I hope this helps!

Have a great trip, I love Spain!

1. Majorca (island)
  2. Madrid (city)
  3. Barcelona (city)
  4. Seville (city)
  5. Reales Alcázares de Sevilla (attraction)

G from Santa Monica

Highly recommend the Hotel Alfonso XIII in Seville. At was once ranked the the second best hotel in Europe. It is Starwood so you get points and can use points if that's valuable up you. Best location in city also so you save on taxis.

1. Hotel Alfonso XIII (hotel)
  2. Seville (city)
  3. Europe (continent)

Javi from Madrid

Wow man! That's such a nice trip! I personally would not fit in  Majorca...  Majorca it's so beautiful to see it so fast, and if you fit it there then you won't have much time...

If you want my opinion, I would change  Alicante for Majorca or  Valencia,  Alicante has a lot of things to see, but  Majorca and Valencia are even more beautiful. 4 days in  Barcelona? You can see it in 3 days with no hurries, so you can use that day to try to go to Majorca, that's up to you.

Do you want good food recommendations? I love eating so much! I actually have a profile on a travelling social media (minube), and there you can see my profile. In  Barcelona, you HAVE TO go to  König for eating sooo cheap and with such a good quality, and also to  Sagardi, for the best tapas. In  Madrid, I recommend you  Korgui Bar Gastronómico and also  Lamucca (but Lamucca is italian). If you want real good spanish food, try these two in Madrid:  Taberna Pompeyana and  Las Bravas.

Good luck!!!

1. Majorca (island)
  2. Valencia (city)
  3. Barcelona (city)
  4. König (restaurant)
  5. Sagardi (restaurant)
  6. Madrid (city)
  7. Korgui Bar Gastronómico (restaurant)
  8. Lamucca (restaurant)
  9. Taberna Pompeyana (restaurant)
  10. Las Bravas (attraction)
  11. Alicante (city)

Susan from New York City

In Seville, definitely check out La Anselma, a local flamenco joint run by a woman who was the most celebrated flamenco dancer in the city back in the day. 

For an amazing meal in Barcelona, Cal Pep Restaurant is a must. No menu - just tell them how hungry you are and they'll keep the food coming!

1. Cal Pep Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. La Anselma (attraction)

Ana from Malaga

Hi Luis,

I think your travel is well planned.

If you want to visit Majorca, you´d better do it after Alicante, I guess you can take a boat from Alicante to the island of Mallorca, but is no worth if you are not staying at least 3 days, otherwise you´d better go directly to Seville and stay one more night in there, Sevilla is worth.

There are many places to stay in Sevilla, I can recomend you EME Catedral Hotel, is modern, welll situated and has 5 different restaurants (all of them are quite nice).

Regards

Ana

1. Majorca (island)
  2. Alicante (city)
  3. Seville (city)
  4. EME Catedral Hotel (hotel)

Mandy from Philadelphia

If you love good food, I have a few restaurant recommendations for you:

Madrid: Club Allard, DiverXO, Mercado de San Miguel

Pamplona: Bar Gaucho for tapas: foie gras is a must here! 

Barcelona: Restaurante Lasarte

1. Mercado de San Miguel (restaurant)
  2. Club Allard (restaurant)
  3. DiverXO (restaurant)
  4. Bar Gaucho (attraction)
  5. Restaurante Lasarte (restaurant)