Robin
Deltona

Spain, Madrid

In Spain Oct 9 - 25. Locals eat & drink where in Madrid?

In area of Madrid, Marbella and Barcelona in mid Oct.  Looking for great food & drink spots for locals while in Madrid . . . not tourists.  Wine, beer, tapas, paella, etc.

Taylor from Pennsylvania

Hola Robin,

I know Madrid the best so I can give you a few places for there.  For the best croquetas in Madrid, you must go to Casa Julio.  The croquetas are to die for and I was always the only American in there.  It's always slammed, but if you're patient and wait a few minutes, spaces will clear up.  It opens after 8PM I believe. (They do serve other things besides croquetas, but it's their specialty so you should really try them.) Another one I like is El Pezcador.  It's a hole in the wall place serving Galician style tapas and they give you abundant portions for cheap.  It's very casual, but the tapas are good and generally no tourists.  Most tourists are on that same street to go to El Tigre, which is very touristy, but you won't run into them at El Pezcador.  For a tasty, modern menú del día (menu of the day, typical Spanish lunch option including two plates, wine, dessert or coffee and bread for a fixed price)try Restaurante Gabriel.  Every time I've gone the food has been excellent, with beautiful presentation and creative flavor combinations.  It's Spanish, but with more of a modern, cosmopolitan flair.  For pintxos, typical Basque tapas, go to Sagaretxe.  I think they have really good ones for Madrid (the best obviously are in País Vasco) and you can get a nice wine, sidra (hard cider) or a beer while you're there.  Cervecería Alemana is very castiza (very Spanish), but it's in a high tourist area.  I was introduced to the place by a Spaniard who lives in Oviedo, but frequents Madrid often and always meets up with her friends there.  It is possible to run into tourists, but that's because it's located in the beautiful Plaza de Santa Ana.

That list will get you started.  I hope it was helpful.  There are so many tourists in Madrid now that it's hard to find places that are only frequented by locals.  If I remember any more I'll be sure to include them.  This gave me a nice trip down memory lane.  Que aproveches!

1. Casa Julio (restaurant)
  2. El Pezcador (restaurant)
  3. Restaurante Gabriel (restaurant)
  4. Sagaretxe (restaurant)
  5. Cervecería Alemana (restaurant)

Estrella from Madrid

Hi! 

In Madrid you can go to Casa Paco, in the neighborhood of Argüelles. There you can eat great Spanish omelets and hash. Then you can take a walk to Templo de Debod, it is an Egyptian temple in Madrid!!

1. Casa Paco (restaurant)
  2. Argüelles (neighborhood)
  3. Templo de Debod (attraction)

Robson from Istanbul

Hi Robin,
In Madrid we really liked El Tigre, you can have a huge plate of tapas with a huge glass of beer or sangria for only Euro 5!!! 
The best paella in Spain we had in Castelldefels, 20 min driving from Barcelona. The place is called Terraza de Verano Solifemar
Enjoy Spain!
If you need further info about Madrid have a look in our blog : www.loveandroad.com

1. El Tigre (restaurant)
  2. Terraza de Verano Solifemar (restaurant)

Javier from Zaragoza

1. Bodega 1900 (restaurant)