Guru

Spain

Food! Food!Food!

Hey Guys,

I am travelling to Spain this September. I am a foodie and I would love to explore all the best food places in Spain. My itinerary is Barcelona-Ibiza-Valencia-Seville-Córdoba-Granada-Malaga-Ronda and Madrid.

Thank you 

Aradhya from Delhi, India

You can Try Quimet & Quimet in Barcelona

2. Amante Beach Club in Ibiza

3. Restaurante Restaurante la Salita in Valencia 

1. Quimet & Quimet (attraction)
  2. Barcelona (city)
  3. Amante Beach Club (restaurant)
  4. Ibiza (attraction)
  5. Restaurante la Salita (restaurant)
  6. Valencia (attraction)

Sean from Hudson Valley

Guru, I've got one word for you; Tapas crawl (Ok, Ok, that's two words!).

Seriously, one of the greatest pleasures in Spain is the food.  Although there are plenty of fine, fine restaurants, in my opinion there is nothing, nothing as fine as a tapas crawl.

If you, or anyone reading this who is unfamiliar with this, I'll elaborate.  Tapas are small plates of only one item.  They can be hot or cold, and are usually savory.  Amongst the cold plate you'll find olives, cheeses, small fishes (anchovies, sardines and the like), various marinated vegetables or cured meats.  The hot plates are almost too varied to even begin to list.  However, two of my personal favorites are fried potato balls, and griddled pig's ears.

The idea is, you go to a bar, order a plate or two, a glass of wine or beer, enjoy them at leisure and, move on to the next place. From region to region you'll notice some variations in the types of offerings.  This is most noticeable with the cheese and fish are concerned. 

Rather than sitting down to one large meal, you get to sample different things in different places over a long period of time.  There is no better way to spend an evening. 

However, it's not the only food option in España. When I was in Madrid I notice a place called Museo del JamonThis roughly translates to The Ham Museum.  Rather than a museum in the traditional sense, the are butcher shops that specialize in ham.  When I say specialize, I mean specialize!  You can find like, brown hogs with black spots, from the hills of a particular region that are fed acorns, exclusively.  Similar to what the Italians call prosciutto, a few paper thin slices are served for you enjoyment, and enjoy them you will! 

You mentioned you're going to Valencia.  Valencia is the home of paella.  A mixture of sautéed aromatic vegetables, meats or seafood and rice. Usually cooked over an open fire and seasoned with saffron, paella is firm, often slightly crunchy, and always savory and flavorful.

Finally, a quick snack you'll find all over Spain is the Tortilla Español.  This is sort of a potato and onion omelet, cooked quite firm, and served on some type of bread.  It's usually dressed with aioli.  Similar to mayonnaise, aioli is a thin oil and egg based sauce that carries a delicious garlic punch. 

Go! Eat! Enjoy!

Happy travels!

1. Museo del Jamon (restaurant)
  2. Valencia (attraction)

Sarah from Alicante

Sean is right that tapas is a great way to try lots of different foods, although it can be expensive. Most restaurants will serve a lunchtime menu del dia which is more economical. Definitely paella in Valencia, suckling pig in Madrid, gazpacho (cold tomato soup) in Andalusia, fresh fish and shellfish in Barcelona. If you love food definitely go to the big market along the Ramblas in Barcelona, which has stalls packed with food and you can buy food and fresh juices. Many of the bars in Granada will give free tapas with your beer. 

Sarah from Alicante

Sarah from Alicante