MaryBeth

Spain, Gibraltar, Morocco

Can anyone recommend itineraries, lodging, tour companies for Spain?

Hi!  Trying to plan a trip for next year (late March or Summer 2016) for about 10 days to celebrate a 10th anniversary.  My SO is enthralled with the idea of visiting Gibraltar.  I suspect it is not a place where folks would stay for 10 days.  We are not into the luxury travel scene. I have done a few tours through G Adventures, and I am fine with that style.  So long as the lodgings are clean, comfy bed, and safe, we are more interested in the experience, culture, etc.  

Can anyone recommend itineraries, lodging, tour companies, etc. to start the research?  Thanks!

Hi MaryBeth,

There is not much to do in Rock of Gibraltar so I think 10 days would be really excessive! I suggest you try to see Gibraltar on a day trip from Malaga or Seville take a look at www.toursbylocals.com 

The Andalucía area is the most fascinating and beautiful, in my opinion. I love the cities: Seville Granada Cadiz and Malaga. There are also beautiful towns like Rondaand Frigiliana 

Will you fly to Madrid from California? If so I recommend that you spend at least 2 days there. There is a lot to see and do in the capital.Alvia runs a high-speed train connecting the main cities in Spain. Book on www.eurail.com or checkout www.seat61.com  You can get a connection from Madrid to Cadiz and start your tour of Andalucia from there. 

We usually book an apartment and really love the company Spain Select. The apartments are in great locations and are pretty fab and good value. You can book direct or on Flipkey or www.ownersdirect.co.uk. You can also find decent hostels, b&bs or small hotels on www.hostelworld.com or www.airbnb.com 

Could I also suggest that late March is a great time to visit southern Spain. The Easter celebrations are phenomenal and last at least a week! The weather is usually sunny too and not too warm (70's) We visited Madrid one year in August and it was too hot and humid to enjoy walking around.

Have a great time!

1. Rock of Gibraltar (attraction)
  2. Malaga (city)
  3. Seville (city)
  4. Andalucía (state)
  5. Granada (city)
  6. Cadiz (city)
  7. Ronda (city)
  8. Frigiliana (region)
  9. Madrid (city)

Sarka from Brno

How much you keen on tour companies? Be your own travel guide :-) Try out Tripomatic, it's the trip planning startup I work for, and I can recommend it as well as an independent traveler. By selecting your destination in the planner you suddenly discover many suggested places of interest in the area, as well as acommodation, variety of tours available in the chosen area... Very traveler-friendly app to plan your itinerary for 10 days in Spain.

10 days is a plenty of time to discover stunning Andalucia. And enjoy their tasty food and wine, yum! :-)

From the Rock of Gibraltar, these spots definitely worth to be visited as well TarifaCadiz as was already mentioned, Jerez de la Frontera - try some cherry :-)), Seville and if you are in to the natural beauty, you can close the circle road and enjoy some hikes in between rock towers of Torcal de Antequera.

Enjoy your trip : )

1. Rock of Gibraltar (attraction)
  2. Tarifa (city)
  3. Cadiz (city)
  4. Jerez de la Frontera (attraction)
  5. Seville (city)
  6. Torcal de Antequera (attraction)