Stephanie

Spain

Best rural retreats in Spain?

What is the best area in Spain to visit for a rural retreat? No major cities, just the country side where I can take in beautiful scenery and relax. 

David from Júzcar

All those places already mentioned are good recommendations but the one I recommend over all is the Ronda area in Málaga province, Andalusia.  Of course you should know I (originally from NYC) am biased as I live and run a tourist business here in the Serrania de Ronda.  That said, this area is one of the most under developed and under exploited areas in all of Andalucia.  For that matter, many places in the interior of Spain are under developed and under appreciated as Spain has a vast wealth of incredible interior spaces to offer.  Here in the Serrania de Ronda, there are over 20 small white villages to visit, there are no cities.  There are plenty of routes for walking, good mountain food, fabulous locally produced wines and vistas increibles.  There will be vast amounts of wild flowers in the coming weeks exploding with colour.  Many types birds will be over head and in the trees as we are on a north south major migration route with the Strait of Gibraltar very near.

Overall, a very relaxing area to enjoy peace and quiet and local traditional lifestyle as well.

Julie from York

Hi Stephanie

You're in for a treat - Spain has some wonderful rural areas. I agree with the previous answer that the Alpujarras are stunning for walking and experiencing a slow pace of Spanish life, though it depends on the time of year you go there as they can be cold in Winter due to the altitude.

I also love the area around Ronda. I stayed recently in the lovely village of Montejaque for a week, and used it as a based to explore local towns and do some hiking in the stunning Sierra de Grazalema national park. I wrote about it here: http://www.thegapyearedit.com/travel/explore-near-ronda/

Inland Gran Canaria was a surprise to me (in a good way) a couple of weeks ago. I stayed in Tejeda and used that as a based for some walking for a few days. I'd highly recommend it.

Have a wonderful time on your Spanish holiday.

Julie

1. Alpujarras (attraction)
  2. Ronda (attraction)
  3. Montejaque (city)
  4. Sierra de Grazalema (attraction)
  5. Gran Canaria (city)
  6. Tejeda (attraction)

Sarah from Alicante

If you are in the Alicante region, I would definitely recommend a trip to Alcoy. It's in the mountains so there are some great walks. It's a pretty little city with cobbled streets, traditional shops, historic buildings and mountain views. Nearby is Ibi which is famous for its toy-making industry. You can visit the toy museum to see some examples of old tin cars, trains, etc. 

1. Alicante (city)
  2. Alcoy (attraction)
  3. Ibi (city)

Taylor from Pennsylvania

Hola Stephanie,

I would recommend a trip to wine country.  Rioja has some pretty fields and areas that you can explore outside the city that would be nice just to relax and enjoy. And why not sip a glass of the local red wine as you take in the scenery? ; )

I also love Asturias.  If you enjoy the mountains, they have some very picturesque scenery there.  It's absolutely beautiful.  They also eat very well in Asturias so that's another perk if you're a foodie.

I've seen other people recommend the Alpujarra Granadina.  I did a rural stay there in a very, very small town called Sorvilán and it was serene and quite remote.  They produce a lot of cork and nuts in the area.  We were able to pick nuts and figs right off the trees and eat them as we went hiking through.  It was a very different experience from one that would get in a Spanish city.

Buen viaje!

1. Rioja (attraction)
  2. Asturias (attraction)
  3. Alpujarra Granadina (attraction)

Any of the Alpujarran villages south of Granada would be wonderful. They are small and in the mountains, very rustic, but full of culture. Lanjaron is the first one you come to, but travel all the way to Trevélez to see some of the finest jamón ibérico made. There are olive oil makers along the way with tasting rooms and beautiful Moroccan rugs and lanterns for sale in several of the villages. The beach is less than an hour away from Lanjarón and Granada is also within an hour drive, but while you're there, it's a world unto itself.

If you prefer to be north, go to Callosa d'en Sarriá, a small town with waterfalls nearby and the town of Guadalest on the hill above. This is near the coast, but surrounded by loquat groves - a delicious orange colored fruit.

Teruel and Albarracin are near each other. Both are beautiful, but the latter is more rustic and has gorgeous hiking/walking paths surrounding it with waterfalls, old castle ruins and walls, and caves along the river. It has an interesting history and gorgeous iron work.

1. Granada (city)
  2. Lanjaron (city)
  3. Trevélez (attraction)
  4. Callosa d'en Sarriá (attraction)
  5. Guadalest (city)
  6. Teruel (city)
  7. Albarracin (city)