Juan

Southern California, Palm Springs, Big Bear City, Big Bear Lake, Palm Desert, Joshua Tree National Park

Winter Weekend getaway In SO-CAL

I live in Los Angeles and have some family coming over the next month and will be staying for about a month. Would like to take them to places in Southern California for a couple nights at the time on the weekends.

We have done the US1 from San Diego to San Francisco a couple years ago and loved it. I've been thinking about taking them this time to Big Bear and the Dessert (Palm Springs, Palm Dessert, Joshua Tree, etc.) Would Love to hear about activities, places to stay, etc. In these areas or any other interesting non-coastal spots. I wouldn't like to drive more than 3-4 hours.

We all are pretty active, outdoors lovers, low maintenance/down to earth people. Looking for Airbnb type of place to stay.

Any recommendation would be highly appreciated ;)

Melissa from Los Angeles

Highly recommend Joshua Tree in the winter.  The snakes and many of the other creepy crawlies are dormant, the weather is absolutely perfect for hiking (cool, but not too cold) and the surroundings are incredible.  

We usually rent one of the houses that backs up to the Joshua Tree National Park so you can just hike right in.  Also, be sure the house has a hot tub -- the views of the night sky are unreal!  While there are some fancier digs available, most of the houses are on the rustic side (which suits the atmosphere really well).  This has actually become our tradition for Thanksgiving week - we bring the archery set, corn hole and make great family memories along the way.  The dog loves it too.

Happy travels!

1. Joshua Tree National Park (park)

JR from Manhattan Beach

I'd take them up to the Santa Ynez (outside Santa Barbara) or Paso Robles wine country. It's beautiful up there.

I'm not sure what the Airbnb market looks like up there but i'm sure you can find something. I'd try to stay near Los Olivos or Ballard or Solvang which will keep you in the middle of things. 

In Paso, I know the Summerwood Winery and Inn is really nice if you want to use that a central location to find an airbnb. 

Beautiful drives and hikes in both areas and great wine tastings and food too if you're into that. Have fun!! 

1. Los Olivos (city)
  2. Ballard (city)
  3. Solvang (city)
  4. Summerwood Winery and Inn (hotel)