Brianna
Myrtle Beach

Brianna from Myrtle Beach asked

New Years in Southern California: What to do?!

I'll be visiting the west coast for the first time the day after Christmas until a few days after New Years. I'll be staying about an hour between L.A. and San Diego so I'll obviously be visiting those places, but what are the absolute MUST do things while visiting this area? I just want to do and see as much as possible while I'm there! I really don't have a budget, so all opinions are welcomed. Thanks!

Southern California   Los Angeles   San Diego

Shannon from Manitowoc, Wisconsin

In LA you have to go to Hollywood Blvd have a happyhour cocktail The Residences at W Hollywood go to the rooftop.  Also visit Venice Beach Boardwalk and the Santa Monica Pier.  If you are adventurous you could walk from Venice Beach to Santa Monica Pier, I would have lunch in either.  On your way down to San Diego visit Encinitas and have lunch Swami's Cafe, it's off the 101 on the main street in Encinitas, be sure to visit some of the thrift stores, great Mexican blankets for sale!

1. Hollywood Blvd (attraction)
  2. The Residences at W Hollywood (attraction)
  3. Venice Beach Boardwalk (attraction)
  4. Santa Monica Pier (attraction)
  5. Encinitas (city)
  6. Swami's Cafe (restaurant)
Louise from Los Angeles

So glad you could be joining us for the New Year! With regards to some plans depends on what you'd like and how long you're here for. 

1. Nightlife - there are tons of awesome bars and clubs if you're into that like the Ace Hotel Los Angeles in DTLA, Perch Rooftop in DTLA which has THE best view especially at night and of course the top of the US Bank Tower. You're also bound to find something on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood. 

2. Cabin it up - grab a bunch of your buddies bring some drinks and rent a cabin up in Big Bear Lake. There's nothing more fun than playing some beer pong with your closest peeps, enjoying the fire and getting that cozy feel. 

3. The Beach Life - Santa Monica has some sights, you can't miss that pier! 

4. Check out some music in the Silver Lake and Echo Park scene. 

Awesome recommendations, Louise! I want to go to LA to do all these things, even not for a bachelorette party! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :)

1. Ace Hotel Los Angeles (hotel)
  2. Perch (restaurant)
  3. Sunset Strip (attraction)
  4. Big Bear Lake (city)
  5. Santa Monica (city)
  6. Silver Lake (attraction)
  7. Echo Park (attraction)
Jacob

It may seem obvious, but I'd check around for the various Christmas light tours. Also, an LA-must is visiting Old L.A. Zoo. It's abandoned and is a bit of a tourist spot. 

The abandoned zoo sounds really cool! I love exploring abandoned places, so I'm bookmarking. Thanks for sharing!

1. Old L.A. Zoo (attraction)
Lisa from Los Angeles

I definitely recommend seeing Pink Martini at Walt Disney Concert Hall on NYE! Amazing band, spectacular venue! 

Joelle from Watertown, New York

I highly suggest DisneylandMission BeachBalboa ParkCoronado Beach where the Hotel Del Coronado is which is the hotel the movie "Some Like it Hot" was filmed. The beach almost looks golden at sunset. Something in the sand. It's a difficult drive though trying to avoid construction and weave through those cute houses so google map your route very very well so as not to become too stressed when driving through here. If money really is not an issue, a hotel/condo next to the beach is....amazing and recommended since it will guarantee parking. You can visit Little Italy, Los Angeles Chinatown, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal CityWalk, Hollywood Boulevard. There's plenty to do in Southern California. Though, with Hollywood blvd it's not as glamorous as some make it seem. There's a Ripley's Believe It or Not museum, a wax museum, gift shops and a lot of people dressed up asking for money in exchange for fun photos. But, hey, if you got the time.  One more thing, for Mission beach I recommend renting a bike to cruise along the boardwalk from Mission Beach all the way to Pacific Beach (Just north of Mission). La Jolla Shores Beach is North of Pacific Beach and I am always recommended by locals to go to there. If you have any questions about Disneyland, feel free to contact me. 

Awesome suggestions, Joelle! I've been to SoCal a handful of times, but haven't been to all of these, so it's great to read these! By the way, I'm a community manager and I wanted to let you know that we've helped you geo-tag the rest of the places in your answer so that they all appear on the map. Thanks for sharing! :)

1. Disneyland (attraction)
  2. Mission Beach (attraction)
  3. Balboa Park (attraction)
  4. Coronado Beach (attraction)
  5. Little Italy (attraction)
  6. Los Angeles Chinatown (neighborhood)
  7. Universal Studios Hollywood (attraction)
  8. Universal CityWalk (attraction)
  9. Hollywood Boulevard (attraction)
  10. Ripley's Believe It or Not (attraction)
  11. Pacific Beach (neighborhood)
  12. La Jolla Shores Beach (attraction)
Christopher from Manila, Philippines

Try an In n Out burger

Louise
Ha ha spot on sir!