TJ
Marina Del Rey

Southern California, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara

Apple Picking in Los Angeles?

I want to pick apples off a tree to make fresh apple sauce... is there anyplace I can drive to in the Southern California area that is open to the public?  

It would be great if the location was within a couple hours drive of LA.

Val from Los Angeles

TJ~

A few years ago, I went "pickin" in Riley's Farm in Oak Glen.  It's off the I-10 on the way out to Palm Springs (near Beaumont) and it was pretty fun!  (There seemed to be a bunch of different orchards offering the same experience.)

1. Oak Glen (city)
  2. Riley's Farm (attraction)

S from Santa Barbara

There are a coupe of places in Los Olivos, Ca, which is close to Solvang, Ca. Los Olivos, Ca is about 2 1/2 hours north of Los Angeles or 3/4 of an hour north of Santa Barbara, Ca.

1. Los Olivos (city)
  2. Solvang (city)

Matthew from Olympia (Washington)

Oak Glen is a couple hours away from LA and there are several u-pick farms, Willowbrook Apple Farmis a good choice. The drive is lovely this time of year with the fall foliage in full effect (although it's nearing end); you will forget you are in California.

1. Oak Glen (city)
  2. Willowbrook Apple Farm (attraction)

Michael from United States

There aren't any that I know of in the central LA area, but you're in luck if you can make a couple hour drive out!

Straight East is  Riley's Farm located at:
12261 S. Oak Glen Road
Oak Glen, CA 92399

Apple Picking is a BLAST! Hope you have fun!

1. Riley's Farm (attraction)
  2. Riley's Farm (attraction)

Daniel from Los Angeles

The city of Julian is known for being a nice area for apple picking.  It's in San Diego County.  Here is a list of places you may want to research first.  I believe apple picking is seasonal, so you should call before you go visit the city of Julian.

1. Julian (city)

Katharine from Avalon

I remember going to Oak Glen as a kid. I believe apple picking is seasonal. Check out http://www.oakglen.net/Index.html.

1. Oak Glen (city)

Elizabeth

Solvang has a spot for picking apples and, good news, it's near a whole lot of wineries. 

Consider http://www.applelanesolvang.com/

Apple Lane Solvang

Just off Highway 101, you can find blueberry picking, too.

Both are seasonal, so be sure to check in advance. It looks like the apples are usually available August through November, but the timing also affects which varieties you'll find.

1. Apple Lane Solvang (attraction)

Ariela from Jerusalem

Oak Glen in San Bernardino County is a beautiful apple orchard for the whole family, but check ahead because they may be closed for the season. It was one of my favorite annual family trips as a little girl. You can find more information on their website here: http://www.oakglen.net/

1. Oak Glen (city)

Terry from Sarasota

Even though I lived in the L.A. area for 11 years, I have to admit that I never picked apples anywhere in that area.  Just about everything else that grows on a tree, I have picked.

So I did a quick lookup for you; http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-apple-picking-near-los-angeles/   There are a number of good suggestions on that page, with varying distances from L.A. itself.

The Oak Glen area seems to be most popular, my California beach friends tell me !

1. Oak Glen (city)