Karan
New Delhi

Southeast Asia, Thailand, Vietnam

Traveling solo in SEA

I am a 28 year old Indian guy and i am planning to travel solo aground Thailand and Vietnam starting next week. I am a bit worried that I might find it hard to meet people and end up getting bored on this adventure. I am a pretty extrovert guy and I love to make new friends, but in this case, I am wondering if I'll meet people of my age group. I have heard that it is common for solo travelers to get together and make plans as a group. Is that a possibility? Any suggestions on how to overcome this fear and have a great time on this trip? 

Thanks 

Karan

Crystal from Anchorage

Hello Karan,

I think you are going to have a great time in Southeast Asia! I'm sure you will have no problem meeting other travelers during your stay, especially if you are in the common tourist areas, and of course if you are friendly to people that you meet. Since many travelers end up going to the same cities, beaches, and sightseeing areas I'm sure you will meet some people who would like to go to the same places as you. You could agree to take the bus together or even share the cost of a taxi depending on where it is you are going. 

I think everyone who travels solo gets lonely at some point, but I think it is worth it because you will end up meeting some interesting people I'm sure. It is also really normal to feel nervous about it, but try not to worry too much. It will be great!

You could also checkout websites like couchsurfing.org and meetup.com to see if there are any open invite get-togethers going on.

Happy travels,

Crystal, Traveler's Toast

Diep from Thuy Anh, Thái Bình, Vietnam

If you want to meet people of your age group, you should homestay at local people or stay at hostel as well. Furthermore, you can refer an itinerary : Hanoi city tour – Halong Bay VietnamHoi AnNha TrangHo Chi Minh CityBen TreMui NeHo Chi Minh City. You can homestay at An Bang Beach in Hoi An.

1. Halong Bay Vietnam (attraction)
  2. Hoi An (city)
  3. Nha Trang (city)
  4. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  5. Ben Tre (attraction)
  6. Mui Ne (attraction)
  7. An Bang Beach (attraction)

Adan

If you want to meet other travellers, you should stay at backpacker hostel or homestay as well. Furthermore, you can book tour to travel with other tourists which is best way to make friends.

Hoyt from New York City

If you spend a little time in a bar or cafe on Khao San Road in Bangkok you'll meet a lot of great wanderers, and anywhere in downtown Chiang Mai too.

1. Khao San Road (attraction)
  3. Chiang Mai (city)