• Jack Armitage
  • "Tour group travel or do it yourself?"

Tour group travel or do it yourself?

I've booked flights to SEA later this year where I plan on backpacking for an undetermined amount of time.

Although I will be flying out alone, I don't really want to backpack alone - I'd like to meet people out there to get about with.

Ideally I'd like the freedom of making the trip up as I go, but I'd be concerned about missing certain experiences along the way which some organised tours include - for example, homestays with hill tribes (I can't imagine how I'd organise that alone!).

I've heard of some tour operators that offer a hop-on hop-off style service where the itinerary is much more flexible but still includes organised activities and said experiences with hill tribes etc. Does anyone have any experience of these tours?

Undoubtedly it comes down to personal preference, but what advice would you give regarding organised group tours Vs making it all up yourself?

Thanks,

• Jae Oh

"backpacking for an undetermined amount of time."

Most people who've written this phrase fall into the category of the do-it yourself group. If you fear missing out on something, do your research ahead of time (don't be lazy). Also, there's plenty of other backpackers intent on doing the very same thing you are considering embarking on, so don't worry- you won't be alone. Lastly, it's o.k. to miss out on some things- you cannot possible do everything. Just try to enjoy the things you end up doing and you won't have to worry about anything else.

• ·
    • ·

Send Jae a Thank You Note