Christine and Jules -
Melbourne

Southeast Asia

Number 1 Must Do Thing in Southeast Asia

Hey guys! Don't Forget To Move​ here! We're heading to Southeast Asia early next year and we are stoked! We're curious- what is your number one suggestion for that region? Could be an activity, awesome tour, delicious meal, gorgeous beach- whatever! We're pretty much down for everything as long as its not super pricey. Can't wait to hear your suggestions! Photos welcome as well!

Katharina from Hong Kong

Oh wow, that is a huge question :) I have been living in Hong Kong for almost 1.5 years and seen most SEA countries, so I hope that I can give you a bit of advise.

I love the Philippines. Getting there is easy and affordable and food and hotels can be quite cheap as well. I can highly recommend Boracay Island which is a little island with beautiful beaches. It is great for diving and kite surfing.I have never been but only heard awesome things about El Nido which is even more off the beaten path and a very romantic getaway but it might take some more time to get there.

If you want to go 50 years back in time, visit Myanmar. My favorite place is Inle Lake as it is still very authentic and local and very relaxing.

You can watch the perfect sunset/sunrise in Old Bagan

The North of Vietnam is beautiful as well. Combine visiting Hanoi with a trip to the Halong Bay Vietnam. Hanoi is a fascinating blend of an exotic old Asia, a dynamic new Asia and some French flair.

To escape the hustle and bustle of the city, do a 3 day tour on the Halong Bay.

Honestly, I could go on and on as SEA has so much to offer but these are my top 3 highlights. If you are into big cities, you definitely shouldn't miss SingaporeBangkok and Hong Kong.

1. Philippines (country)
  2. Boracay Island (island)
  3. El Nido (city)
  4. Myanmar (country)
  5. Inle Lake (attraction)
  6. Old Bagan (city)
  7. Vietnam (country)
  8. Hanoi (city)
  9. Halong Bay Vietnam (attraction)
  10. Singapore (country)
  12. Hong Kong (city)

Katerina from Los Angeles

Philippines is amazing. I recently spent five days in Boracay Island. It is the perfect balance of relaxation and fun. Although Boracay is very touristy, there are places to escape the tourism if you want. I stayed on Bulabog Beach which was quieter and more relaxed than the other side of the island. There are lots of windsurfers so it was fun to watch them in the mornings. But keep in mind the beach is very windy because of this. The other side of the island is the beautiful White beach, where all the tourists are - along with many restaurants, shops, and bars. The whole island is quite small so walking from Bulagog beach to White beach is only about ten minutes. There are also motocycle taxis to take you anywhere. The local people are the nicest, most helpful people I've ever met. I will definitely go back to The Philippines one day. Bulabog beach is pictured below (this was the view from the front of my hotel - Levantin Boracay).

1. Philippines (country)
  2. Boracay Island (island)
  3. Bulabog Beach (attraction)
  4. Levantin Boracay (hotel)

By far the best is Siem Reap!  Not only do they have the most amazing temples:  Angkor Wat, Ta Prohm Temple The Bayon but the town/village is so entertaining.  The market is huge and has everything you could possibly need:  pipes, faucets, souvenirs, Buddha statues!  It has a happening night life, with great restaurants and bars along Pub St.  You can pay $5 for a fish pedicure or $5 for an hour long foot massage.  I was in heaven.  Very affordable, and has wonderful, high class hotels for not the much money.

1. Siem Reap (state)
  2. Angkor Wat (attraction)
  3. Ta Prohm Temple (attraction)
  4. The Bayon (attraction)
  5. Pub St (attraction)