Pat
Cambria

South Korea, Cambodia, Myanmar

Getting to South East Asia

I am flying LAX or SFO to South East Asia (final destination Siem Reap) in Jan. and returning from Rangoon/Yangon in Feb. I am not finding any good  flights. Korean Airline has one but only 50 minutes for change of planes in Seoul. When I add a 3 day stopover (I'd love to spend a few days in Seoul), the price about doubles. Any suggestions as to airline, connections, other cities for connections?

Carole from Paris

Hello,

Check out www.skyscanner.com It is the website we used during our quasi year-long travel in southeast asia. It allows you to set alarms for lowest prices. It was our best way to find low budget flights. Though we tried to land cross as much as possible.

Ryan from Chicago

Finding flights can be the worst thing about traveling.  I have gone to Asia a few times and have found some websites and airlines that make it easier to find flights.  http://www.skyscanner.com/ and http://www.tigerair.com/sg/en/.  Hopefully these can help you.

Aimee from San Diego

Hi Pat!  Are you trying to get from Rangoon right back to LAX/SFO?  There are not a ton of flights in and out of the capital city -- most all route through BKK, KUL or SIN.  Not a ton that route through ICN.  I'd recommend maybe a flight that goes USA - REP and then BKK or KUL or SIN back to USA?  Do an open jaw ticket.  Then, just book yourself hopper flights from wherever you are into myanmar (probably have to stop depending where you are coming from) -- then out of RGN to either BKK, KUL or SIN to grab the return leg of your long-haul ticket.  Make sense?  

1. Rangoon (city)

Nancie from Halifax, Nova Scotia

I live in Korea, and always find it to be expensive for flying out.  Seoul is a major and hub, and can be expensive to fly from. Also, you are traveling at the same time that many Korean's are on school break, plus there are major holidays during your time frame.

How about getting a cheap flight to Seoul, and then traveling a discount carrier such as Air Asia? I would say this is an option worth considering. 

Good luck!

1. Seoul (city)

Jae from Singapore

Hello there,

Common hubs for getting cheaper flights back to the west coast are from Japan, Korea. Other longer shots for cheaper hubs are the Philippines and Singapore.

If you get really stuck and want to hire someone to help you with routing options, check out https://flightfox.com/.   

Pat from Cambria

Appreciate tips. Final flight: using Kayak.com alerts, price drop in LAX-BKK flights so booked China Southern to BKK. Then AirAsia DMK to REP and a return RGN to DMK. I have large layover in Bangkok so taking the shuttle between airports. May look into using part of day to see a sight (tour returns to area later). Even tho AirAsia nickels and dimes for everything, I have flights booked for under $1400. Thanks again. 

Pat from Cambria

Good ideas but unless I am missing something, Skyscanner will not do multiple destinations. It is very expensive to do one ways and separate tickets ups the price considerably. I have tried several aggregators and what I find is it is easy to get to Seoul  but continuing to Siem Reap REP is not. Return from Rangoon even harder with huge layovers. Maybe I need to just pay the $2200+ ticket or find another gateway city on my way to Siem Reap? 

1. Seoul (city)
  2. Siem Reap (city)
  3. Rangoon (city)